Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First thoughts - Ghost House, despite it's name, lacks some good amount of horror. Chloe has come to her grandma's house in England for the holidays, a way to get away from the sadness in her life due to the recent death of her mother. Being psychic, she has always been able to see ghosts, but they never really communicated with her until she comes to Grange Hall. Of course, the first one had to be a hot charming dead guy - Alexander Reade, who in no way makes you cheer for him with his misogynistic ideals from two centuries ago. Of course, there is insta-love because that is how it will go, even though there is a really cute living guy called Joe who would be more suited to her. Of course, there is angst in the form of I'm-dead-you're-alive and the ghost of the ghost's ex love. Isobel is a vengeful spirit who is a ghostly personification of a 10 year old - she swings from alluring to vengeful to adoring in a matter of seconds.

Okay, rant over. Now, what I liked - Chloe. No really, she was a step up from Adornetto's last heroine. At least this one is not ready to let a guy walk all over her and go, but yeah, a little less angst would have made her character more likeable. I liked how she was in general- sarcastic, witty and confident, just not the whiny mess around Alex. It's not even that she can't interact with guys - she is fine around Joe. I don't even get why we are we supposed to root for Chloe and Alex. We know she is smart because she doesn't go directly after a ghost that is out for her blood. In fact, I liked the book in the start. Mid-way, I was rolling my eyes at nearly every page because the chessiness was dripping off the pages. I found it perfect until Chapter 27, too - it closed off really well, and the climax would have worked into a standalone perfectly. I was hopeful that it would just leave it there, but alas, it has to be a series so on the last line of the last chapter is a bombshell (which I was hoping wouldn't come and came anyway) which is supposed to leave us wanting for the next book but just leaves me thinking - how the hell could that happen?

About the writing, I am on the fence - the descriptions and style seems good but the progression and dialogues seem stilted. In terms of setting, I felt Halo had a better structure than Ghost House. Quite many things are unexplained and there are plot holes, which I would rather not start enumerating. Overall, an okay sort of book, but could do with a little more of the horror.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account