Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1373
Audiobook or Print, the book is Amazing!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Liked: Rosaria Munda delivers an intensely engaging third and final book to the Fireborne trilogy. This world is so richly detailed and the characters well developed that it is hard not to be sucked into this fantasy world and worry about these characters’ plight as you would dear friends. I thought (erroneously) that if I listened to the audiobook while carrying out other tasks my heart wouldn’t hurt so much for these characters’ trials and tribulations. However, the voice cast does an amazing job bringing this story to life and probably made me even more emotionally invested.
The bond between dragon and rider is richly established and helped me to remember that it is indeed a fictional world and the characters have a decent chance of surviving. My heart ached so intensely for the strife separating Annie and Lee as well as Griff and Delos. Over the course of the series, they have all become dear characters with solid backgrounds. With each book, we have added the perspective of a character and it was nice that this one added Delos’ perspective.
The political situation in Callipolis and New Pythos was thought-provoking. There were good and bad points about the revolutionary government. It is up to our characters to uphold the good and fix the bad after the glaring differences in the counter-coup. Griff’s change in status and in attitude to Delos was very surprising although grief can change a person. I did want to shake him a few times though.
What Left Me Wanting More: Annie and Lee’s tricky plan to resolve things left me scratching my head a bit. I am not sure that I agree that was the best way to resolve the dilemma they faced. It did guarantee to be quite a tearjerker because it led to several poignant deaths that I didn’t expect. There was a surprise reveal of the life of a character that I also questioned. If his dragon plummeted to his death upon feeling his riders fall then how is he alive from a height so grave and now important to this plot’s resolution? That was a plot point that didn’t feel as smooth in an otherwise tightly woven narrative.
Final Verdict: The cover instantly drew me to this series. Dragons are always a bonus when done well. It is a rare thing that speaks volumes about how much I liked this series I went from the library copy to the bookstore to buy the first two books to go with the review copy of the third book that YAbookscentral received. I highly recommend this book to all who love deeply emotional books that feature dragons, fantasy, and political drama with an undercurrent of profound love and friendship.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account