Funeral Girl
(Updated: July 27, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked: Engaging portrayal of a girl dealing with death anxiety that just happens to live in a funeral home. This novel goes a step further than other paranormal ghost stories in which readers are introduced to Georgia, 'G', and are shown the anxieties she daily deals with. I love how the author digs deep into G.'s struggles and not just make this the typical ghost story.

G. lives with her family in a funeral home. While her twin Peter is excited about the prospect of taking over the business, G. struggles. She really wants to believe in an Afterlife, but then again the idea of living forever is equally terrifying. Her first experience with being around ghosts is after her grandmother's death. It's interrupted when G.'s screams in the basement of the funeral home have her parents rush inside. G. never sees the ghost of her grandmother again and fears that she might be caught in eternal limbo.

I really love how G shares her fears, anxiety, and struggles with the topic of death. She also shares what goes on behind the scenes in a funeral home including getting a body ready for burial. The descriptions are very realistic. It brought back memories of when I went to the funeral home after my sister's death and how the funeral director explained the process. All I remember is how my sister looked nothing like she did when she was alive. Ohland nails this and also the many conflicting emotions someone deals with after someone dies.

There's an element of Evan from Dear Evan Hanson where G's experience with Milo, a dead fellow classmate, is taken to the point of his parents and others thinking that she was good friends with him. The truth though is she. like others at their school, didn't know him personally while he was alive. This adds to her stress.

Subdued, bittersweet portrayal of someone dealing with anxiety over death, but also a story that is truthful without just being a ghost tale. Kudos also for showing a teen coming to terms with a paranormal ability while being true to herself.
Good Points
1. Engaging portrayal of a girl dealing with death anxiety with paranormal elements
2. GLBTQA+ representation
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 07, 2022
A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY EX LOVER

What a wonderful and straightforward spell caster that has brought back joy and happiness into my life!!! I'm giving this testimony because I am so happy, I want to thank Dr. Lucas for the great work He has done in my life, He brought happiness back to my life, I never believed in spell casters until my life fell apart when my lover of 6 years decided to call it quits almost when we wanted to get married. I had such an emotional breakdown to the extent I could not do anything reasonable again, after 3months in pain before an old friend of mine introduced me to a spell caster online called Dr. Lucas, this was after I had been scammed by various fake spell casters. I was introduced to Dr. Lucas, a true Spell Caster. In less than 38 hours I saw wonders, my lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle, and after 1month later we got married and it was just like a dream to me because I thought I had lost him forever. Thank you Dr. Lucas for helping me but most of all, Your Honesty and Fast Accurate Results. EMAIL HIM FOR HELP: [email protected] Or contact him through his Website: https://miraculouscentre.wixsite.com/my-site-1 You can also message Him through his private What's App Number +15302120104. His Facebook Page https://web.facebook.com/miraculouscentre My Personal Blog: https://kobemyla.blogspot.com/
K
kobemyla05
1 results - showing 1 - 1