moving and emotional memoir
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
FROM HERE is a moving memoir about growing up in Jordan as a member of the LGBT community. The book begins with Luma reflecting on her past with her daughter, and the complicated feelings she holds towards her family and the country where she grew up. It then travels back to her childhood, bringing both the good and bad stories about her youth, painting the picture of her family and all the things she loved - which she eventually had to leave as a refugee to the US to live her life with the love she wanted.

What I loved: This was a really moving and emotional memoir that pulls the reader in right from the start. There were things that made me laugh, cry, and feel all the feels as we experience Luma's life alongside her. Her past was not all bad - nor was it all good, and Luma does not shy away from portraying it all. The book is told almost in a series of stories, allowing the reader to understand what her childhood was like and the key people in her family. There was nothing simple about her choice to try to remain in the US.

I don't want to say too much about this book as it is a memoir, but there are some important lessons about religion, kindness, family, understanding, found and origin family, and being a refugee that are presented emotionally and poignantly through Luma's own life experiences. This would be a great pick for YA readers to delve more into other experiences and consider these many elements that are still powerful politically today (eg, the refugee immigration system). This is a really consuming read, and the pages turn quickly.

As a warning, there is content that may be tough for sensitive readers, such as suicidality/mental illness, homophobia, racism (especially in the wake of 9/11), misogyny, questionable relationships, animal death, and family estrangement.

Final verdict: FROM HERE is a moving and emotional memoir about a woman's growth and journey to finding a place to belong. Highly recommend picking this one up alone or as part of a book group.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account