Young Adult Fiction 605
Fade into the Bright Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
After receiving news that her father has Huntington's disease, Abby and her sister decide to get tested... and one of them is positive. Devastated and struggling to cope with this life-changing news, Abby flees to the island of Catalina, to spend the summer with her estranged aunt. She wants an escape from reality, even if it's temporary.

This book was absolutely wonderful. I kept pushing it off because I knew it would hit home and destroy me. Once I stopped procrastinating though, I couldn't put it down.

While I don't have Huntington's disease, I do have spinal muscular atrophy, which is progressive and decreases life expectancy. This book does a really great job of showing not only what it's like to live with the fear of not knowing your future but the effects it has on loved ones.

It is very well written. It is an emotional topic and story, but at the same time, there are the lighter qualities you would expect from YA romance. There are teenage shenanigans, friendships formed, first love, and more. It's a fun book while still hitting all the feels, and despite the underlying sadness, it was an easy read.

Abby starts off a little standoffish because of everything that's happened. I really enjoyed her journey and seeing her grow. Ben works on the island and is the guy everyone adores... except Abby. She wants no part of his cheerful, golden retriever attitude. Of course, that doesn't stop him. Eventually, they start becoming friends, and she starts opening up to him and their co-workers. All the characters in this book were just really great.

I definitely recommend this book!
Good Points
- Touching subject with meaningful lessons
- Great characters and character growth
- Cute romance
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account