Review Detail

3.0 1
Young Adult Fiction 2649
Fast-Paced, Intense Graphic Novel
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

"There's a fine line between a friend and an enemy" is the first line in this gripping graphic novel about romantic love and friendships, a collaboration between popular author Aimee Friedman ("South Beach", "Hollywood Hills" and more) and well-known graphic artist Christine Norrie ("Hopeless Savages").

Chloe Sacks is an artist and a student at Georgia O'Keeffe School for the Arts. She is one of a close-knit group of pals, including her BFF, Mackenzie. As the girls start their junior year, they are tight. But junior year changes everything, as Chloe falls for a guy Mackenzie scorns and Mackenzie's own actions are morally reprehensible to Chloe.

This was my first graphic novel, and now I'm hooked. In fact, I read it in one sitting, unable to put it down until I found out exactly how Chloe's tale ended (or, at least, this portion of her tale; I'm hoping sequels will follow pronto). The characters are believable, and the conflicts and pleasures of both friendship and romance are convincingly portrayed. Chloe is a character anyone can relate to. The brilliant illustrations include flashbacks and portrayals of all-encompassing feelings (my favorite is of the four girls in a life raft tossed by a stormy sea, with the words "acne", "sex", "grades", "boyfriends",
"popularity", and "pressure" as part of the crashing waves). Very highly recommended for mature teens.
TM
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account