Review Detail

4.7 32
Young Adult Fiction 4602
Death Tells an Unforgettable Story
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

From Nazi Germany, Death narrates the story of young Liesel who loses her family, landing in a foster home with the tyrannical Mama and warm Papa. Papa helps Liesel learn to read, as she steals books starting with a grave-digger's handbook.

One day as she is delivering laundry for Mama, Liesel discovers something astounding: the most unlikely treasure watched over by an unthinkable guard . . .a person who has witnessed Liesel's thievery. Meanwhile, Liesel's new family must honor a long-ago promise. In doing so, they teeter on the edge of a terrifying precipice.

A big, meaty read, THE BOOK THIEF has won many awards, including a Printz Honor Award. The story celebrates the triumph of the human spirit through books and reading during the worst of all possible times while giving us a view of the everyday lives of Germans living in Nazi Germany. Although it deals with often painful subjects, it's also a compelling read full of humor, warmth, and irresistible/quirky phrasing.

THE BOOK THIEF will twist your heart and stretch your soul. The story had such an emotional impact on me, that I can't stop talking about it to everyone I know . . .and I will never forget it.
TM
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account