Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 282
The Witch Haven is a magical mystery, historical fantasy.
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

What I loved:
The Witch Haven is set in the early 20th century and takes place in a school for witches, which works very well for the mystery that is the core of this story, the murder of Frances's brother. The mystery aspect is very engaging. You move along, collecting clues rapidly as our main character learns more about this exciting world of witches and magic after she accidentally murders a man in her place of employment.
What Left Me Wanting More:
Set in 1911 during a time when sexism and misogyny were an everyday part of life. France's grief over the loss of her brother was expressed and felt throughout the whole book. The ending leaves it open for the second book, though it is not labeled as having a second book on Goodreads. The aspect of using magic to take control of someone else body to achieve one's needs made for a creepy case, especially once we find out who is leaving Frances's notes on her bed.
Final Verdict:
I recommend giving The Witch Haven a shot; if Historical Fantasy, Feminist themes, a swoon-worthy boy, witches, strong family bonds, and magic interest you, this is for you.
The Witch Haven
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account