Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 692
stunning and imaginative YA fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE INFINITY COURTS is a stunning and dazzling YA fantasy about morality, humanity, and the afterlife. Nami is truly excited about her life. She is finally charting new territory with her friend who may be becoming her boyfriend and about to head to college. On her way to a party, one of her best friends calls her and begs her to buy alcohol with her fake ID. She heads into a store but cannot bring herself to do it - but then the store is held up at gunpoint. To save a young girl, Nami steps in the way of the bullet.

She wakes in Infinity, the afterlife where human consciousness goes. However, she is soon to learn that Infinity is anything but heavenly for humans. Controlled by an AI like Siri, Ophelia, humans are slaves or tortured by Residents, entities created by Ophelia. She is ever-searching for her own freedom, and it comes at the cost of the human afterlife. As Nami works with the rebellion on Infinity, she has many questions about the morality of this war and whether peace could be a better path forward, but sides must be chosen.

What I loved: This was an absolutely imaginative and brilliantly plotted book that I would describe as a cross between Upload and The Matrix. The world-building was really complex and unique. This afterlife is limited by the human mind, where they can theoretically control anything but in practice have specific affinities. Ophelia has created a world of four Courts, where humans are treated differently, and the Colony of the rebels is composed of people who have been exposed to two beyond Victory, the main Court in which they reside. Each of these were dark and twisty, and every glimpse we get is reminiscent of underworld-type scenarios.

The characters were also compelling, and I appreciated Nami's sweetness, empathy, and her desire to understand all sides. At times, she seemed naive, but this deep desire to believe in the good of others was also a strength in some ways. Other characters had complex and intriguing backstories that led to their own present thoughts and goals. I wanted to know as much as possible about each, because they were all so intriguing, and my only complaint would be of wanting to know even more - so I am really excited to see this will be the first in a series.

The themes of the book were thought-provoking, and I found it quite intriguing and philosophical at times about defining humanity and what sets us apart from others, the meaning of love, the ambiguity of morality and good/evil, imagining the afterlife, and forgiveness. This would be a great pick for book groups, as there is a lot to ponder and discuss, and there are no easy answers.

This was an absolutely riveting read - I finished it in less than a day because I could not put it down. I had to know what would happen next and find more answers. I also really enjoyed that the ending completely threw me for a loop (twice) with some major surprises that blew my mind. These shocking revelations have me incredibly eager to continue the next book in the series.

Final verdict: Immersive, imaginative, and intriguing, THE INFINITY COURTS is a fascinating and thought-provoking YA fantasy that questions humanity, morality, and the afterlife. Highly recommend for fans of THE KINGDOM, THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US, and HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account