Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 83
charming and cute YA contemporary
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

10 TRUTHS AND A DARE is a book about family and owning up to your mistakes. Olivia is about to graduate high school as salutatorian and excited to have some time away from her overbearing mother as she takes a trip away. Olivia's plans are thrown for a loop when she finds out that her ability to graduate is in jeopardy. She took an off-campus PE class, and the form was not turned in. Thinking it must be a mistake, she tracks the golf coach down.

It turns out that when she did not take the class seriously, she did not end up with the number of minutes needed to get credit for the class. The teacher allows her one last opportunity to make it up by volunteering at the golf tournament. As she volunteers, she tries to hide it from her large and involved family, particularly her mother, with the help of her friends. It's a week when she re-examines her priorities and learns more about herself, as well as getting to know the cute guy who is suddenly back in her orbit named Leo.

Olivia learns a lot during the course of the story, and I appreciated her character growth plus the ultimate focus on honesty/integrity. There are some really funny moments with her mother's overbearing texts that her friends/cousins help her to handle and plenty of cute moments throughout. The book is short and breezy, making it great pick for a summer afternoon read.

The romance was more background than I wish it was, but it still had plenty of swoon-worthy moments, and I was definitely cheering for them. I also wish that there was more resolution with her mother to set up some boundaries, but I get that most of it was likely for the comedy.

Overall, 10 TRUTHS AND A DARE was a charming and funny YA contemporary that is perfect for a summer afternoon read.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

How Not to be Popular

"Reader reviewed by Yan After traveling and leaving schools so many times and getting her heart broken, Sugar finally decides..."
How Not to be Popular

"Reader reviewed by Kayla (Midnight Twilight) Sugar Magnolia Dempsey, better know as Maggie, has some strange parents. They are free..."
How Not to be Popular

"Reader reviewed by the book muncher Maggie Dempsey is a pro at fitting in. Thats because she never stays in..."