Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 790
engaging YA contemporary
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

ALL KINDS OF OTHER is an intriguing YA contemporary that follows two boys as they start at a new school. Jules loves playing basketball and is often endearingly awkward. He has left a private school because of bullying and come out to his family and some friends as gay. As he starts at the public school in LA where he lives, he sees a guy that he wants to be closer to and learn more about, who he finds out is named Jack.

Jack is trans and gay, and he is not out at this new school after the experiences he had at his old school in Pittsburgh. He came with his father out to LA, where his dad is hoping to break into acting. He also feels a pull towards Jules, but he is wary of getting too close. Then, someone sends around a video Jack had made with a friend when he was beginning to transition, and he has been outed to the school - and to Jules.

As Jules tries to understand what this means, his mother's prejudices run rampant and bullies at school have a new target. Even the GSA does not seem to be inclusive of all the letters in the LGBTQ+ members they are there to support. When the dust settles, where will they land?

What I loved: The major theme of the book is around the need for trans allyship and understanding. This comes up through past events and with the fallout of the forced outing, as we see the social, emotional, and even physical danger that trans people face in modern society. Even when people are accepting of the other letters, that T in the LGBTQ+ does not get the same recognition or understanding that it deserves. Through the story, readers can begin to understand what a true ally does/should do, understand the person, and also understand what is unacceptable (eg, dead-naming or asking about level of transition).

I found both characters compelling. They both have their own obstacles, but I loved watching them grow and fall in love through the book. The inclusion of blog posts, transcripts of youtube videos, and text messages add to the modern love story elements.

Bullying is also another theme of the book, and through the story, we can also see the power that allies can have to stop these destructive events and, most importantly, help support the individual being bullied (the value of knowing someone cares and sees you), as well as the importance of getting adults involved.

What left me wanting more: As a minor point, I found myself getting lost in the earlier parts of the book where I was trying to keep track of who was who and other characters who were appearing in blog posts. This does get smoother later on, when we understand who they are, but makes for a bit of a slow start. It is definitely worth sticking with it.

Final verdict: A powerful YA contemporary romance read, ALL KINDS OF OTHER combines compelling characters with thought-provoking themes into a coming-of-age book that will stick with the reader for some time. Highly recommend picking this one up on its own, as part of a book club, or in the classroom.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...

Latest Member Reviews

The Republic of Birds

"Once, birds and humans lived together until a war erupted over a firebird’s egg. Now, the humans have their own..."
Happy Little Ogre

"HAPPY LITTLE OGRE features our favorite characters from Shrek as babies. It's full of ogre fun and silliness from burps..."
Shadow Hills (Dragon Kingdom of Wrenly #2)

"In this second installment of Dragon Kingdom of Wrenly, Ruskin is on a royal errand to find lava rocks to..."
The Coldfire Curse (Dragon Kingdom of Wrenly #1)

"The Coldfire Curse by Jordan Quinn is the first book in her graphic novel series Dragon Kingdom of Wrenly which..."
Even and Odd

"Even and Odd are sisters born a year apart who share their magical power. Odd isn't thrilled with hers, and..."
The Lost Continent (Wings of Fire, Book 11)

"It was a good book i really want to buy is so i can read it all the time. I..."
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

"Riley and her sister Hattie work in their family's Korean alternative medicine practice in Los Angeles, but while Hattie is..."
On These Magic Shores

"Minerva Miranda's single mom works hard to support Minerva and her younger sisters, Kota and Avi. It involves more than..."
Bridge of Souls (City of Ghosts #3)

"Just back from her whirlwind tour of Paris (and her creepy encounter with a skeleton specter) in Tunnel of Bones,..."
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

"THE LAST FALLEN STAR is a thrilling epic fantasy. Riley Oh is a saram, a person without magic, adopted by..."
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

"Eva Evergreen is a young witch about to embark on her Novice Quest. As the daughter of one of the..."
Bridge of Souls (City of Ghosts #3)

"What worked: This is a satisfying conclusion to City of Ghosts series. Engaging characters, fast-paced plot, and spooky magic woven..."
Aru Shah and the City of Gold

"***This review contains spoilers for the prior series installment, book 3, ARU SHAH AND THE TREE OF WISHES** With..."
The Threads of Magic

"Pip picks pockets to get food for himself and his sister, El. When he picks something unexpected, a mysterious box..."
The Last Fallen Star

"Riley Oh is thrilled for her sister, Hattie, to finally be formally initiated into the Gom clan on her 13th..."
The Wild Huntsboys

"Luka lives in a dystopian future, in Bellum, which is war torn and horrible. There is technology, when their aren't..."
A Wolf for a Spell

"Zima is struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of her pack ever since her parents died in a fire..."
Little Lion Rescue (Little Animal Rescue)

"Callie's class is on a trip to the zoo. Since Callie wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up,..."
City of the Plague God

"Sik spends most of his time working at this parents' deli in New York City. One evening when he's closing..."
The Captive Kingdom

"*I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review* Jaron has returned with..."