Review Detail

Ember of Night Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1306
intriguing YA fantasy with a sweeping romance
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

EMBER OF NIGHT is an intense and steamy YA fantasy read. The book follows Harley, an almost 18-year-old who has spent her life trying to survive her abusive and alcoholic father. She dreams of the day that she turns 18, and she can get out of his house - but only if she can take her 8-year-old sister, Ray, with her. Ray is a talented artist and hangs out at the place where Harley works when not at school to avoid their father. Harley has really taken on a parental role throughout Ray's life.

One night at a concert, Harley meets a mysterious boy who fascinates her. After they dance, she expects never to see him again- until he shows up as the new hire at her work. Harley finds herself pulled toward Draven, seeing much of herself in him. As they circle each other, greater forces at work, leaving Harley trying to figure out who she is and what her role will be when it all falls apart.

What I loved: The romance here was fantastic - all the swoon and steam, and I completely loved the couple, the way they came together, and every scene they shared. The first person perspective of Harley really pulls the reader into the story and keeps it moving quickly. We learn things as she does, and there is a lot to figure out in this fast-paced story. The mystery and thriller elements propel the plot forward quickly, and it is ultimately a highly readable book that is easy to lose yourself in.

The book tackles some really heavy themes around abuse and self-worth. While some of these were hard to read, the tenacity and hope that Harley carries make her story one that will resonate with readers. I appreciated the way that resources are given prior to reading and later presented in the story as she begins to be more honest with herself and those around her.

What left me wanting more: The only thing I would want more of is more of this fascinating story. The world-building gives us enough to understand the basics, and the reader learns alongside Harley about the forces at work and the ways that she may impact them. I did still want to know more about this world, the structure, and major players. Although major plotlines were wrapped up here, it does seem like there might be a next book with the way it ended, and that may provide more world-building as Harley herself learns still more. As a smaller point, there was a character (Anka) that I found particularly intriguing that suddenly disappears, and I would have loved to see how she plays into it all.

Final verdict: With sweeping romance, a fast pace, and heavy themes, EMBER OF NIGHT is an unputdownable, raw, and powerful YA fantasy. Highly recommend for fans of Jennifer L. Armentrout, Sarah J. Maas, and Victoria Aveyard.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling

0.0 (0)
Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...

Latest Member Reviews

Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

"While there are a number of excellent books about women's suffrage available, including Kops' Alice Paul, Zimet's Roses and Radicals,..."
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

"There was a recent Jeopardy! champion who apparently got himself up to speed on many areas of knowledge by reading..."
Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words

"'Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words' by Donna Janell Bowman, illustrated by S.D. Schindler, brings to light a not-so-well-known piece of history..."
A Kid's Guide To America's First Ladies

"How does a First Lady train for a job that has no job description—or even a salary? A job that..."
Isaac The Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton, Reveal'd

"Isaac The Alchemist is a very quiet book. Much like Isaac the boy. There is something powerful and inspiring about..."
Around America to Win the Vote: Two Suffragists, a Kitten, and 10,000 Miles

"Alice Burke and Nell Richardson toured the country in their Saxon motor car in 1916, armed with a typewriter, a..."

"This 120 page volume includes five stories: the escape of Daniel Collins; Captain Franklin's 1845 Arctic expedition; Mary Reed, a..."
Seven and a Half Tons of Steel

"This picture book starts with very basic information about 9/11 and the plane that was crashed into the towers, and..."
Two Friends: Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass

"A simple, visually engrossing introduction to the concept of equality. Two champions of human rights meet for tea. The..."
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

"This book is essentially a 40 page illustrated biography, suitable for children ages 6 and up. Offering a bit of..."
Mesmerized

"Mesmerized is a gorgeously illustrated book with a strong Middle Grade appeal. It’s a fascinating tidbit of history blended with..."
Line of Fire: Diary of an Unknown Soldier

"What a fabulous find! There are lots of World War II books out there for Middle School students, but it..."
World War I for Kids: A History with 21 Activities

"Like previous books in this series, this is an extremely well researched volume with outstanding illustrations. A wide variety of..."
Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World

"How many of us think exclusively of Thomas Edison (and perhaps, Benjamin Franklin with his kite and key) when we..."
"The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy

"November 22, 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. James L. Swanson’s novel comes at a perfect time..."
Hey, Charleston!: The True Story of the Jenkins Orphanage Band

" This was such a fun book! There is something to be said about a nonfiction book that can..."
Chasing Lincoln's Killer

"I'm starting my summer reading early. I want to be able to recommend some nonfiction titles from our..."
Chasing Lincoln's Killer

"This book is amazing. It tells the story of an american tragedy. It gives a good description of the incident..."
Courage Has No Color, The True Story of the Triple Nickles: America's First Black Paratroopers

JenJen
"Courage Has No Color is beautifully written and tells the story of The Triple Nickles, America's first black paratroopers who..."
Tillie Pierce  Teen Eyewitness To The Battle of Gettysburg

"I've always been fascinated with the Civil War so I was excited to find a teen's eyewitness account of the..."