Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 118
intriguing sequel to a YA paranormal romance
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

HAVOC is an intriguing continuation of a YA paranormal romance. In this world, witches and werewolves live side by side with the witches being called Weavers and the werewolves called Watchers treated like their pets. Watchers are supposed to protect the witches while they are casting. Their role has been one of servitude with the witches carrying breeding logs and forcing inhumane practices on them of subservience with trackers, lethal punishments, and the use of mating only to produce the strongest offspring.

Things are changing with Freddie soon to become the Alpha of her pack. She has a vision for change in the treatment of Watchers and their role in paranormal society. As with any changes, this will be hard-fought. The trouble is already beginning with tensions running high, accusations flying every which way, and now a surprise force breaking Rain and Freddie apart - even though she and Rain are clearly meant for each other.

What I loved: There are some really interesting themes in the book about equality and power as well as the corruption of it. This book could function as a stand-alone, as the major plots in the first book were tied up, and this sequel presents its own conflicts which are also concluded within. The characters do carry across, and it would be helpful to read them in order, but the major points that are needed to enjoy this book are recapped (also helpful if you have not read the first one in a while). This book was action-packed and moves quickly, which I appreciated as it was a fun read overall. The mystery of what was going on really keeps the pages turning.

What left me wanting more: Although present throughout, the romance takes a backseat here, and I wanted more of it. There were also some plotlines that felt wrapped up a little too abruptly, and I wanted a bit more lead up/reasoning to their resolution. The ending felt a bit rushed and too neat on some things. I also had some feelings about the villain, and I think I needed a bit more information on that to fully buy in. These were all relatively minor in my mind.

Final verdict: Overall, fans of the first book will be delighted to spend more time in this intriguing magical world. HAVOC is a fast-paced and intriguing sequel to a YA paranormal romance series. I would be curious to see if more books will follow.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 28, 2021
Just a quick word to tell everyone. I am very sorry to share this testimony on the internet. I never believed until my husband left me and the kids for 7 months. I was so devastated. After 7 months of emotional pain and languish, a friend of mine introduced me to a certain love spell caster, I was introduced to info.droosa.org@gmail.com and God so kind this Man brought my Lover back In less than 48 hours, i saw wonders, my Lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle… am so happy.. thanks to Mr OOSA for saving my marriage. My kids are happy that their father is back home. Mr OOSA is the best online love voodoo spell caster I’ve ever met! whatsapp him on +1613-703-9066 Thanks, thanks thanks!!!!!!
TR
Tanya Rufer
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...

Latest Member Reviews

Take Me Home: Waters of the World

"TAKE ME HOME: WATERS OF THE WORLD is an engaging nonfiction picture book that teaches basics and fun facts about..."
This Is My America

"WHAT I LOVED: Tracy's family is an outsider in multiple ways in their Texas town: they're one of the..."
Colors in Nature

"COLORS IN NATURE is a beautifully illustrated book of art that features animals and plants. The book walks through each..."
Welcome to Arizona

"WELCOME TO ARIZONA is a simple, fun travel guide picture book for children about the state. The book covers fun..."
I Don't Want to Go to School

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL features Dinosaur and Mouse, who are both scared of their first day of..."
Counting Down with You

"COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU is a heart-wrenching and visceral YA contemporary read. Karina (Myra is her familial name) is a..."
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

"What worked: This is one gut-wrenching, powerful collection of stories of young Jewish women Resistance fighters in Hitler's Ghettos. The..."
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

"While I was familiar with most of the information in the book, due to apparently all too frequent deep..."
Fate Calling

"Fate Calling by Lindsay Grace is a beautifully written fae fantasy about a young human girl named Aislinn and a..."
Reign of Secrets

"What worked: The magical aspect of this book had me turning pages quickly. It was easy to read and..."
In Deeper Waters

"IN DEEPER WATERS is an intriguing and fast-paced YA fantasy. Tal is the fourth of five royal children in a..."
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: OUTER SPACE is another fun collection of paint-by-sticker images with an outer space theme. The book..."
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

"THESE FEATHERED FLAMES is an enchanting YA fantasy about sisterhood, power, and destiny. When twins are born in the royal..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a delightful board book about baseball. The book begins with heading to the park to play baseball..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
Sam Can't Sleep

"SAM CAN'T SLEEP is a fun picture book read that introduces the concept of nocturnal animals. It's nighttime, and all..."
Welcome to California

"WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA is a fun picture book of facts about the state. It covers topics from the state capitol..."
The Other Side of Perfect

"THE OTHER SIDE OF PERFECT is an engrossing YA contemporary about loss, grief, moving on, friendship, and sisterhood. Alina has..."