Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 381
intriguing sequel to a YA paranormal romance
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

HAVOC is an intriguing continuation of a YA paranormal romance. In this world, witches and werewolves live side by side with the witches being called Weavers and the werewolves called Watchers treated like their pets. Watchers are supposed to protect the witches while they are casting. Their role has been one of servitude with the witches carrying breeding logs and forcing inhumane practices on them of subservience with trackers, lethal punishments, and the use of mating only to produce the strongest offspring.

Things are changing with Freddie soon to become the Alpha of her pack. She has a vision for change in the treatment of Watchers and their role in paranormal society. As with any changes, this will be hard-fought. The trouble is already beginning with tensions running high, accusations flying every which way, and now a surprise force breaking Rain and Freddie apart - even though she and Rain are clearly meant for each other.

What I loved: There are some really interesting themes in the book about equality and power as well as the corruption of it. This book could function as a stand-alone, as the major plots in the first book were tied up, and this sequel presents its own conflicts which are also concluded within. The characters do carry across, and it would be helpful to read them in order, but the major points that are needed to enjoy this book are recapped (also helpful if you have not read the first one in a while). This book was action-packed and moves quickly, which I appreciated as it was a fun read overall. The mystery of what was going on really keeps the pages turning.

What left me wanting more: Although present throughout, the romance takes a backseat here, and I wanted more of it. There were also some plotlines that felt wrapped up a little too abruptly, and I wanted a bit more lead up/reasoning to their resolution. The ending felt a bit rushed and too neat on some things. I also had some feelings about the villain, and I think I needed a bit more information on that to fully buy in. These were all relatively minor in my mind.

Final verdict: Overall, fans of the first book will be delighted to spend more time in this intriguing magical world. HAVOC is a fast-paced and intriguing sequel to a YA paranormal romance series. I would be curious to see if more books will follow.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 28, 2021
Just a quick word to tell everyone. I am very sorry to share this testimony on the internet. I never believed until my husband left me and the kids for 7 months. I was so devastated. After 7 months of emotional pain and languish, a friend of mine introduced me to a certain love spell caster, I was introduced to info.droosa.org@gmail.com and God so kind this Man brought my Lover back In less than 48 hours, i saw wonders, my Lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle… am so happy.. thanks to Mr OOSA for saving my marriage. My kids are happy that their father is back home. Mr OOSA is the best online love voodoo spell caster I’ve ever met! whatsapp him on +1613-703-9066 Thanks, thanks thanks!!!!!!
TR
Tanya Rufer
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling

0.0 (0)
Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...

Latest Member Reviews

Final Season

"Ben Redd enjoys playing football with his 6th grade friends, especially Tuna, even though sometimes the way they act worries..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Kneel

"Russell and his friend Marion live in Louisiana, and hope to use their skills at football to work their way..."
Gridiron: Stories from 100 Years of the National Football League

"Fred Bowen's fictional sports books are usually tied to an event in sports history, so it makes perfect sense that..."
The Big Game

"Danny lives in Texas with his mother and former Pittsburgh Steelers player father, who now sells farm machinery. The father..."
Speed Demon

"Tim has recently moved to town and is starting ninth grade at Hilton Prep. During gym class one day, his..."
Throw Like a Girl

"THROW LIKE A GIRL is a charming story about chasing your dreams, a little romance, and a passion for sports...."
Game Changer

"At the end of summer football camp for the Walthorne Wildcats, Ted Youngblood collapses as he comes off the field..."
Game Change

"GAME CHANGE by Joseph Monninger follows its main character Zeb Holloway for one week in his life--and what a week..."
King of the Bench: Control Freak

"In No Fear, Steve warms the bench for baseball, he gets roped into being on the football team. He has..."
Lone Stars

"Clay loves playing football with his good friends, and football is a family activity in Texas. His mother is a..."
The Football Girl

"An amazing book with appealing characters."
The Football Girl

"Tessa is a great athlete-- she runs in a local race with her friends Marina and Lexie and wins first..."
Football Superstars 2016

"FOOTBALL SUPERSTARS 2016 by K.C. Kelley takes an in-depth look at the star players in the NFL at the end..."
Interference

"Even if the characters take a bit to warm up to, the book is a good read. Stick with..."
Interference

"What I Loved: Kate Hamilton isn’t your sweet ingenue. She’s as well-versed in politics as her dad and is..."
Top Prospect

"After Travis' older brother Carter is signed with the Gainesville Gators football team, Travis is thrilled. He also feels a..."
The Revenge Playbook

"Warning: The following review may be incoherent for the following reasons: (1) There are no words to describe how much..."
The Revenge Playbook

"What I Loved: THE REVENGE PLAYBOOK is chock-full of girl power, which a guarantee to me that I'll adore it...."
The Revenge Playbook

"Every now and then, you find a book that makes you stop and think. It makes you look into the..."