Review Detail

Lore Featured
Young Adult Fiction 836
riveting new take with modern Greek mythology
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

LORE is a sweeping and enthralling stand-alone YA fantasy based on Greek mythology. Lore is a descendent of the bloodlines involved in the punishment of the gods by Zeus. Every 7 years, they must walk the Earth for 7 days as mortals, during which time they can be killed and their powers handed to the person who dealt the death blow. The family lines which hunt these gods do so for the power which their family can hold upon the successful killing. Many of the lines are dying out as their rivalries are detrimental to their existence.

Lore is the last mortal in the Perseous line, and she has tried to stay away from the Agon and the families since her family was brutally slain following the previous one seven years ago. However, when her former best friend, Castor, shows up with a warning for her, and then a wounded Athena is found on her front stoop, Lore must quickly decide whether the revenge she desires for her family's murders is worth re-entering this world she tried to leave behind.

What I loved: This book was full of action and carried a quick pace that really made the pages turn quickly. I was quickly invested in Lore's story and the alliances and friends she has made. Her life has been difficult through her training and friendships through to betrayals she has and will face. This story really came to life through her - and it is really brutal and raw, in the vein of Greek mythology. The connections with the mythology are plentiful throughout, and this would definitely work for people who enjoy retellings, particularly with modern twists.

There are also some interesting themes about destiny/fate and the ways that this concept can become twisted, as well as the problems with a patriarchy and its ability to be abused. Lore has faced the patriarchal society and seen its brutal realities in many ways. Although she is a talented fighter, her skills are considered secondary and in many cases unnecessary. The discussion around the meanings of sacrifice and the ways that "justice" are carried out were also intriguing. Although there was a focus on action and suspense, the book also presents some thought-provoking themes that would be interesting to discuss with a book group.

What left me wanting more: I did want to see more of Lore's past. We do get some tidbits throughout, but it wasn't enough to really immerse in it (and these were not clearly delineated but just occasional reflections). I also wanted a bit more of the romance, as I really liked it, and it was minimal/background at best. I would have enjoyed this book also being more spread out so that we could get more insight into other characters as well. The gods/goddesses were pretty intriguing, and I felt we only got glimpses of them. On the other hand, this does keep the book moving quickly and action-packed, so I do see the other side.

Final verdict: Enthralling, brutal, and raw, LORE is a riveting stand-alone YA fantasy with ties to Greek mythology. Recommend for fans of THE YOUNG ELITES by Marie Lu, HALF-BLOOD by Jennifer L. Armentrout, and THE TRIALS OF APOLLO by Rick Riordan.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling

0.0 (0)
Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...

Latest Member Reviews

"In her introduction to this book, Ms. Baptiste mentions that every February, for Black History Month, her children would bring..."
Kyle's Little Sister

"Grace is just entering 6th grade, and will be rejoining her older brother Kyle at school, where he is a..."
Willa of Dark Hollow (Willa of the Wood, 2)

"What I Loved: In the first book, I left wanting to see Willa interact more in nature. In this..."
Small Favors

"Amity Falls is a small, quiet, religious town surrounded by forests. Ellerie Downing lives there with her sisters, brother, and..."
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

"Rosie Singer knows something is wrong with her mom. She doesn’t comfort her or look at her the way her..."
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling

"What I Loved: The Oddmire, Book 1 Changeling delivered a lot of heart and humor in this first installment...."
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

"Beginning with a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. about love, COUNT TO LOVE! is a cute poem that encourages..."
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

"THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER is an adventure-filled graphic novel about Johnny (Kid) Constantine. We start by meeting Kid..."
The Cup and the Prince

"I always love stories that flip gender roles. I feel like there is a character for every type of personality..."

"WHAT I LOVED: Thanks to my brother being big into Dungeons & Dragons, I have some familiarity with tabletop gaming..."
Bird Boy

"BIRD BOY is a sweet picture book about being yourself and embracing your differences. Nico is the new kid in..."
Love You By Heart

"LOVE YOU BY HEART is a simple but beautiful story of love. Featuring a big and little heart, the book..."
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

"FA-LA-LA LLAMA is a delightfully festive board book song. The book features llamas getting into the spirit of the non-religious..."
Our Way Back to Always

"OUR WAY BACK TO ALWAYS is a beautiful YA contemporary romance about two best friends, Sam and Lou. After a..."
Poison Ivy: Thorns

"POISON IVY: THORNS is an intriguing graphic novel that takes us back to the origin story for Poison Ivy. Pamela,..."
Ground Zero

"This book delivers the stories of both Brandon, a nine year old in New York City during the 9/11 attacks,..."
The Last Gate of the Emperor

"Yared Heywat has lived with his Uncle Moti since the death of his parents. They have moved around in very..."
Sunny Makes a Splash (Sunny #4)

"It's summer just outside Philadelphia in 1978, and Sunny is faced with the tedium of watching her younger brother Teddy..."
The Magical Reality of Nadia (The Magical Reality of Nadia #1)

"Nadia and her best friend Adam are excited about starting 6th grade. After spending the summer with cousins in Egypt,..."
Traitors Among Us

"Sisters Krystia and Maria think they're safe after WWII ends. They've seen the horrors of the war ravage their native..."