Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 949
stunning YA fantasy sequel
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

COVET is a riveting installment in the CRAVE series that takes the reader on a magical journey. The book begins at Katmere, with the major characters still reeling from the way the second book ended. Grace is not sure how to deal with the shifts in her feelings and the fears that she has about the way things happened. As she tries to get her bearings, understand what has happened to her, and face an uncertain future, Grace feels repeatedly shattered.

With the aid of her friends, Macy, Flint, Luca, and Mekhi, along with both Jaxon and Hudson, Grace is moving forward, determined to protect those she loves and forge a better future. This will be no easy task, and she must search for a magical relic- with lots of unexpected stops on the path to get there- along with her friends. The journey may break them.

What I loved: This book has a lot of intensity to it, and the world-building is massively expanded. The reader gets to see other kingdoms/courts as well as some of the way the magical world is run (with plenty of greed and corruption). We also get to hear a creation myth that was infinitely interesting. While the earlier books had lighter world-building, this is where the reader can be more fully immersed and learn about the broader magical world of the series. It was easy to become enchanted by each of these glimpses and begin to feel like the reader understands more, particularly with dragons and giants, but there's a lot of intense and enthralling information. The book also teaches more about the mating bonds, and the complexity that has and will face Grace.

In many ways, this book felt more like a questing book, and I really enjoyed the journey, as the characters take small steps toward reaching their ultimate goals. In the process, the journey was equally as fascinating. Character development also increases here, with Grace having many epiphanies about who she is and who she wants to be. Her relationships likewise mature as Grace studies those around her and sees the paths laid out before her. I also enjoyed the new characters we meet, Remy and Calder in particular.

There are some thought-provoking themes in this book about love/sacrifice, guilt and its mental toll, the need for prison reform, and the difficulties around others trying to decide what would be best (eg, parents making decisions for you about what should happen in your life- and the fallout from those drives). The prison themes were really interesting and touched on a lot of the debate around the power dynamics between jailor/prisoner, the meaning of rehabilitation, the cruelty of a system that does not easily allow for such, and the mechanisms by which people are placed into prison. There's a lot more than I can say in just a review, but I found these themes particularly thought-provoking, and they would be great for discussions with book groups.

The book does ultimately end with a cliffhanger, looking towards the next book, and leaving the reader eagerly anticipating the way this journey will ultimately continue/end. I am also curious how some of these plots will grow in the next book, particularly with some of the side characters.

Final verdict: COVET is a heart-pounding, riveting, and captivating sequel in the CRAVE series. Would recommend reading the books in order, but this one is particularly good for people who like questing fantasy, thought-provoking themes, strong world-building, and character growth. Highly recommend for fans of Jennifer L. Armentrout's COVENANT and LUX series, TWILIGHT series, and THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 4 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instructions for Dancing

0.0 (0)
THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The critically...
Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

0.0 (0)
A teen confronts his feelings about his father’s death, his...
Even and Odd

0.0 (0)
Even and Odd are sisters who share magic. Lately, though,...
Bee a Good Human: A Pollinators' Guide to a Better Life

0.0 (0)
Combining inspiration, humor, and entomology, Instagram artist Ali Beckman (@SoFlyTaxidermy)...
Goodnight, Little Bunny

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Bunny on the day that she ventures out...
Flying Over Water

0.0 (0)
N.H. Senzai and Shannon Hitchcock expertly craft the intersection of...
Rukhsanna Guidroz

0.0 (0)
Samira thinks of her life as before and after: before...
Not Now, Cow

0.0 (0)
In this hilarious picture book, all of the farm animals...
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

0.0 (0)
Peekaboo! Who's hiding in the ocean? Lift the flap to...
Family Reunion

0.0 (0)
In this contemporary #OwnVoices tale, a boy is reluctant to...
A Season of Sinister Dreams

0.0 (0)
Furyborn meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Instructions for Dancing

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR DANCING is an engaging YA contemporary about romance, family, and coming of age. Evie stopped believing in love..."
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

"THE TRAGEDY OF DANE RILEY is a compelling YA contemporary read about family, grief, depression, and mental illness. Dane is..."
The Shadow War

"What worked: Intriguing mix of Sci-fi with historical set during WWII. There is a lot going on in this engaging..."
Kneel

"Russell and his friend Marion live in Louisiana, and hope to use their skills at football to work their way..."
A Season of Sinister Dreams

"A SEASON OF SINISTER DREAMS is an engaging YA fantasy that follows two young women, Evra and Annalise. Annalise lives..."
I Can See Clearly

"Luc Ponti comes from a strong Italian family, and his father (an NCAA point guard, Princeton grad, Special Forces and..."
Fire with Fire

"Dani Rivera may excel at every part of her dragon slaying training, but she would rather focus on being normal..."
Better Together

"BETTER TOGETHER is a delightful and charming YA contemporary read about sisterhood, family, and healing. Siri lives with her mother..."
Get a Clue: A Bookish Boyfriends #4

"In this fourth book set at Reginald R. Hero High, we meet Huck and Win, the brother of Curtis from..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I had enjoyed this book to great extent. I loved the relationship connection between the two characters and how the..."
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

"THE CRUELEST MERCY is an intriguing second book in an enthralling YA fantasy series. After the rush and danger of..."
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

"What worked: This was a fun take on Crazy Rich Asians meets descendants of Empress Regent of China. Gemma..."
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

"THE BOX IN THE WOODS is a fantastic continuation of Stevie's story with a whole new cold case to solve...."

"Miles "Pudge" Halter seeks for a "Great Perhaps", and attends Culver Creek, a boarding school. Yet, he finds himself with..."

"To say that this book was one of my most anticipated releases for 2021 is an understatement. After the impact..."

"Oh my goodness what a way to end this series! I honestly took a little longer to finish this book..."

"I absolutely loved this sequel. The first one was such a good set up for this book. Nita is free..."
Not Even Bones

"So, this book was not what I was expecting it to be. First, it takes place in the real world...."
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

"What worked: I loved this engaging, heart-felt story with one strong Chicanx protagonist. Think I'M NOT YOUR PERFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER..."
All our Hidden Gifts

"ALL OUR HIDDEN GIFTS was a riveting and darkly captivating YA fantasy/thriller/horror read. Maeve is a teen girl and not..."