Review Detail

Perfect on Paper Featured
Young Adult Fiction 668
completely charming and compelling YA rom-com
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

PERFECT ON PAPER is a delightful YA romantic comedy. Darcy has been operating Locker 89 at her school for years. Students leave notes and money with their email address, and Darcy takes the time to reply to their notes with an anonymous email of relationship advice. There is a money back guarantee that if her advice does not work, she will refund the money. Her anonymity is put into jeopardy when she is confronted by a senior, Alexander Brougham.

Brougham wants Darcy to help him get his ex-girlfriend back with personal counseling sessions. Out of fear for others finding out the secret that she is behind Locker 89, Darcy begins to help him. At the same time, she sees advice relating to her BFF and secret mega-crush, Brooke, that makes her act out of jealousy rather than the usual whole-hearted advice her secret agony aunt program gives. As time goes on and she spends more time with Brougham, she realizes that there is more to him than she would have expected, and maybe getting him back with his ex is not as high on her priorities. What could go wrong?

What I loved: This plot had me completely hooked to see how everything came together. I also really adore unexpected romance with some enemies-to-romantic flair, and this book delivered in a big way. The characters are unbelievably well-written and highly compelling. Aside from Darcy, who grows a lot as a character in the book, and Brougham, who is totally swoon-worthy, Ainsley is a character whose book I would happily devour. She's funny, clever, and makes her own clothes- plus gives her sister Darcy great advice. She was definitely one of my favorites in the book, and she had me literally laughing out loud with her antics at the end big friendship-related gesture. Ainsley was *chef's kiss.* I also had much love for Finn, who has his own conspiracy theories about High School Musical, and even Darcy's mother, who is doing her best and also evolving during the story.

Another great part of the book is all the representation of the LGBTQ+ community, as well as the discussions around how different identities can be perceived (particularly bi, as per the main character) and related challenges. This was a really strong part of the story, and I also appreciated the importance of having safe spaces (like the Q + Q Club) demonstrated in a positive way.

I also really loved the inclusion of the letters and the advice Darcy gives sprinkled throughout the book. These sorts of additions just made the book even more fun. The writing style and pacing are really perfect in this book, and I never felt like there was a dull moment.

I would add some warnings for drug and alcohol use/abuse, parental neglect and abuse, and internalized biphobia.

Final verdict: With fantastic representation, strong love interests, and a bunch of personal growth, PERFECT ON PAPER was a compelling and charming read. Highly recommend for fans of ASK ME ANYTHING and FOLLOW YOUR ARROW.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And not...
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

0.0 (0)
Riley Oh can't wait to see her sister get initiated...
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

5.0 (1)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

4.5 (2)

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...

Latest Member Reviews

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew

"A prequel and an origin story; in more ways than one. It becomes easy to see..."
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

"Set somewhere around a year after the events of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Eustace Scrubb remains much better..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

"Picking up right where book #2’s cliffhangery ending left off, Garth Nix brings us the satisfying conclusion to his Abhorsen..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"I have loved all the books in the gone series and this one is no exception. Kept me entertained until..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"Let me start by saying that while this is the seventh (yes, seventh!) book in a series, I haven't ever..."
Fresh off the Boat

"Happy Philippine Independence Day! This is the reason why I picked up this book. June 12 is the day..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"This fast paced, action packed series is focused on the world that is filled with a variety of faeries that..."
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #1)

"I loved this series as a child, rereading these a number of times. I liked the first book, The Magician's..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

"Yeay! I finished the book! I have to admit, I decided to read this book again because of all the..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

DA Dragon Authors
"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo (dog) and Zoe (human) are both gearing up for Halloween in Garth Stein’s ENZO’S VERY SCARY HALLOWEEN. The story..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"I remember reading this when it first came out, it was everything I was looking for in a book, great..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."
Coraline

"I still can’t believe that a novel such as Coraline is marketed and written for children. I was, frankly, terrified..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo's Very Scary Halloween is a cute children's book that tells the story of an adorable puppy named Enzo and..."
Absolute Brightness

KK Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."

"Note: this review is for the Vampire Kisses omnibus containing books 1-3. In this omnibus containing the first..."