Dark Stars Featured
Young Adult Fiction 346
Dark Stars: Book Three
(Updated: February 19, 2021)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

DARK STARS by Danielle Rollins is the third book in her series of the same name. It begins with Dorothy needing to figure out how and why Ash’s death vision came to be and what her role was in it. Armed with new knowledge from the professor and her own time travel machine, Dorothy goes back in time once again to the events leading up to Mac’s takeover. She knows that she can’t change the past, but perhaps she’ll be able to stop the ominous future. The one where New Seattle no longer exists.

TWISTED FATES, the second book in the series, is a really strong set up for a lot of the plot threads in this finale. Some of them require suspension of disbelief that I was hoping would be clarified in this final novel—but they weren’t. That being said, the series overall is so entertaining that I’m pretty forgiving on this point. I also really care about the characters, particularly Dorothy, Ash, Roman, and the professor. Rollins does a great job at making us root for their successes, as well as dropping them in dire situations and letting them find their way out of them. She also excels at placing the reader in the scene. Her descriptions and ability to build mood and tone are both tangible and fascinating.

This novel is split into five different sections, each one dealing with a specific task in Dorothy’s journey. Because of this, the pacing of this book feels a bit slow as there are arcs culminating in different parts. As a result, it seems like the story is ending multiple times, but then it revs into something else. Yet, somehow, it doesn’t all culminate in a satisfying way. I still have so many questions and believe there is plenty of space for a fourth book. I want to see Ash and Dorothy come together and acknowledge their feelings for one another—not through a third party, know what happens with Mac after the confrontation, see if the time travelers ever go back from the future, and more.

That being said, if you’re looking for a fun and gritty time travel series, DARK STARS is a great one to add to your TBR list. It’s full of surprising twists and turns that will keep you guessing what’s next.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

0.0 (0)
In 17th-century Paris, 19-year-old Catherine Monvoisin is a well-heeled...
Sam Can't Sleep

0.0 (0)
When Sam can’t sleep, he decides to ask all the...
The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kiva Meridan has spent the last ten years...
Fate Calling

0.0 (0)
A cursed fae prince. A lonely human lass. A...
Welcome to California

0.0 (0)
Welcome to California! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
Zoe Rosenthal is Not Lawful Good

0.0 (0)
A buttoned-up overachiever works overtime to keep her inner...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi, this...
The Sky Above Us

0.0 (0)
From the author of We Speak in Storms comes...
Zoom: Dinosaur Adventure

0.0 (0)
Join Jasmine and Jamie as they travel back in time...
Let's Pretend Fire Station

0.0 (0)
It's a busy day at the fire station! Chldren can...

Latest Member Reviews

Bridge of Souls (City of Ghosts #3)

"What worked: This is a satisfying conclusion to City of Ghosts series. Engaging characters, fast-paced plot, and spooky magic woven..."
Ghostology

"This is a fun, spooky guide to those who want to know about the world of spirits, ghouls, and hauntings...."
The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (Monsterstreet #1)

"Max’s dad died when he was young so he doesn’t remember much about him. He also never sees his dad’s..."
Fake Blood

"WHAT I LOVED: AJ is your average kid and doesn’t have anything exciting going on in his life, but he’s..."
Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

" In this second installment of the series, Thomas ward is now 13 and has been the Spook’s apprentice for..."
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales

"If you know me you know that I absolutely love retellings, so when I requested this book I was expecting..."
The Ministry of Ghosts

"Mr. Beeston, from the Department of Economics, is bound and determined to trim the fat from the budget, so when..."
Dead Boy

"Dead Boy is an easy and fun read about Crow. It is loaded with magic, suspense, and wonderful characters. Crow..."
Max Helsing and the Thirteenth Curse (Max Helsing: Monster Hunter)

"Since Max's father died, he has been living with the quiet, older Jed who can only cook eggs and clam..."
Guys Read: Terrifying Tales

"There is something so wonderfully satisfying about a good scary book in October. Halloween is just around the corner, creepy..."
A Curious Tale of the In Between

N/A
"I love a good first line and A Curious Tale of the In-Between certainly has it. "Pram died just..."
Scare Scape (Scare Scape #1)

"Morton, James and Melissa move from their bright apartment in the city to a creepy old house in a town..."
Scare Scape (Scare Scape #1)

"What I Loved: Creepy creatures and a spooky old house with secrets provide the vehicle for a heartwarming story..."
Doll Bones

N/A
"Doll Bones was listed as a Sunshine State Reader (for Florida) for 2014. I decided to read it to prepare..."
Dead Jed: Adventures of a Middle School Zombie

"Jed is a zombie or rather cardiovascularly-challenged teen, who's rapier humor helps him challenge the horrors of middle school. ..."
The Little Leftover Witch

"When Felina, a young witch, crash lands near Lucinda's house on Halloween, Lucinda's family, the Doons, take her in. Since..."
Doll Bones

"After everything I've heard combined with the creepy cover, I was expecting to at least get some chills. Sadly, that..."
The Little Leftover Witch

"What a cute little story this one is! Short and sweet, The Little Leftover Witch is a story that features..."
Doll Bones

"Each time I went to my Great Grandma Lucy’s house, I never dared go into the guest room. That’s where..."
The Year of Shadows

"Middle Grade fiction and I don't usually get along, which is funny considering their covers are the cutest things EVER...."