Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1168
Take a Little Trip
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Michael doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. He should go to community college to avoid the draft, but he's not particularly keen on the idea. He has a girlfriend, Amanda, but she's kind of annoying and he'd like to break up with her. When his friend Evan talks him in to going to Woodstock with some friends, the group gets within walking distance before their car overheats. After they walk to Yasgur's farm, Evan breaks out some tabs of brown acid, and Michael has a bad trip. He ends up in the medical tent where Cora, who lives nearby, is volunteering. Cora has just broken up with Ned, who wants to be a doctor. Ned was the perfect boyfriend, so she's a bit bitter, especially since her family still seems to like him. Cora gives Michael tea and walks him around (the standard treatment for a bad trip), and the two feel an instant connection. Eventually, they spend time together, listening to the music, hanging out, and even meeting Janis Joplin briefly. The general atmosphere of Woodstock is well described, and Cora's struggle with career choices is one that certainly would be typical of the time period.
Good Points
Interesting background on how the locals felt about Yasgur renting out his farm, some interesting intergenerational drama with Cora and her folks, and good coverage of the musical groups. I really felt muddy after reading this one! Great description of setting.

Would have liked to have seen Michael developed more; his character seemed very flat to me. Teenagers during this time had a lot going on, and I'm sure had many emotions about it. More coverage of Cora's career thoughts would also have helped. The names Evan and Amanda seemed out of place. Gary and Linda, yes, but Evan and Amanda seem more like 1990s names.

This is definitely a Young Adult title, and does have the f-bombs, sex, and drugs that were rife at the time. It's hard to find books set during this time period, and the cover is great!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...
The City Beautiful

0.0 (0)
Death lurks around every corner in this unforgettable Jewish historical...
The Shape of Thunder

0.0 (0)
Cora hasn’t spoken to her best friend, Quinn, in a...
Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town

0.0 (0)
A lyrical and heartfelt collection by an award-winning writer that...
The Republic of Birds

0.0 (0)
A young witch must save her sister from evil birds...
Fearless

0.0 (0)
Better Nate than Ever meets Love Sugar Magic in this...

0.0 (0)
"It was a test, you fool,” she sneered, “to see...
Ducks on the Road: A Counting Adventure

0.0 (0)
From Caldecott Honor artist Anita Lobel comes a touching and...
Sloth and Smell the Roses

0.0 (0)
A playful board book about the pillars of mindfulness from...
Curious About Insects

0.0 (0)
Perfect for the littlest bug buffs, this board book offers...
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

0.0 (0)
After solving the case of Truly Devious, Stevie Bell...
Simone Breaks All the Rules

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of You Should See Me in...

Latest Member Reviews

An Enchantment of Ravens

"This book has become one of my all-time favorites. Every time I start reading I couldn’t put it down, touched..."
The Wild Huntsboys

"Luka lives in a dystopian future, in Bellum, which is war torn and horrible. There is technology, when their aren't..."
An Enchantment of Ravens

"I'm not very into reading fantasy (so I might not be the best person to review this). But I was..."
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

""Written" by dwarf Nord Diggums with contributions from experts in the field of magical creatures such as Professor Ivana Therey..."
Artemis Fowl: How to Be a LEPrecon: Your Guide to the Gear, Gadgets, and Goings-on of the World's Most Elite Fairy Force

"Nearly twenty years after its original publication, Artemis Fowl is a movie! It's apparently on Disney Plus, so readers who..."
Wicked Nix

"Wicked Nix is the foulest of the fairies. He's also the protector of the forest and will keep people out..."
The Secret of the Crystal Fairies (Thea Stilton Special Edition #7): A Geronimo Stilton Adventure

"Even though Thea is off on an international scientific expedition to the Arctic, her five friends in the Seven Roses..."
Monica the Marshmallow Fairy: A Rainbow Magic Book (The Sweet Fairies #1)

"Rachel has come back to visit Kirsty, and they are being taken by Aunt Helen to visit Candy Land, a..."
Halfway to Happily Ever After (The Wish List #3)

"Isabelle is in training to become a fairy godmother, but her skills aren't top notch, so she's had to have..."
Perfectly Popular (The Wish Fairy #3)

"In this third book in the series, Brooke finally realizes that making wishes is a very delicate business, and the..."
An Enchantment of Ravens

""An Enchantment of Ravens" is a great stand-alone YA fantasy/romance about the "fair folk" (fae/fairy) and their relationships with humans..."
Fairy Mom and Me

"Ella has the coolest mom ever because she's a fairy. Magic and all. The best part? Ella will be a..."