The Shadow War Featured
Young Adult Fiction 414
Paranormal historical YA about fighting evil and saving the world
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Audiobook review:

Following 5 teens trying to survive, THE SHADOW WAR imagines World War II with a shadow realm involved. Liam, brilliant young genius, found the shadow realm while studying at Princeton, and he knows it could change the entire course of the war. He just has to make sure the Nazis can't use it as well. Siblings Daniel and Rebeka barely escaped when the Nazis killed their family, and they want revenge. Phillip is looking to make a difference and prove himself. Simone is helping the Resistance while recovering from a broken heart. When their journeys intersect, they will have to band together to help take down the evil that is all around them.

What I Liked:
-The premise: I love books set in history that add something to it, whether it's supernatural, fantastical, etc. Lindsay Smith does a remarkable job making something terrifying (Nazis) become even more monstrous with shadows. With Liam, we also get a cool idea of how the realm is imaginable in scientific theories. One of my favorite scenes is when Liam and Phillip get to geek out over science and engineering for a bit when they meet.

-The romance: I wasn't expecting romance to have as much of a presence, but THE SHADOW WAR offers several deep, emotional romances. Liam and Daniel brought many a swoon, and Phillip and Rebeka had a beautiful rising tension. I think Simone's relationship with [redacted for spoilers] had such an unexpected journey that had me tearing up.

-The theme of what it means to do good: Each of the 5 people we follow have different methods of doing good and fighting evil. They make you feel the true sacrifice and risk that often comes with doing the right thing. We meet a few side characters who want to help the Resistance, but they aren't willing to take the risk to do much to actually help, and they refuse to believe the Nazis are actually killing people. It echoes so much of what can be seen in many periods of war and atrocities when people chose convenience over actively doing good. Our 5 protagonists show that fighting evil is never easy but it is absolutely necessary, risks and all.

What Left Me Wanting More:
-The narration/the plot: With 5 protagonists, having 1 narrator (Cary Hite) for them all was difficult. There wasn't a very distinct range of character voices, so at times, it was easy to get lost in where I was at in the story and who's POV was happening. This also made it hard to tell if I was primarily struggling with the narration or the plot. However, the accents (primarily German and American) in general were really well done, as was the big climax fight scene.

While I wasn't sold on the plot and narration, overall, THE SHADOW WAR is a powerful examination of war, sacrifice, survival, and love perfect for those who like historical fiction with a twist.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Calm Bunny (Yoga Tots)

0.0 (0)
Charming illustrations and step-by-step instructions take little ones through a...
The Problem with Pierre

0.0 (0)
The differences between Bertram and his neighbor Alan were never...
Noisy Tractor (I Can Learn)

0.0 (0)
Children will love to press the soft, silicone buttons on...
Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

0.0 (0)
Step into an opulent world filled with risk, romance, and...
Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...
Thirty Talks Weird Love

0.0 (0)
A 13-year-old girl growing up in Mexico is visited by...
Admission

0.0 (0)
Lie. Cheat. Bribe. How far would you go to get...
Running

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Cuban American Mariana Ruiz’s father runs for president,...
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw...
My Book of Feelings (My World)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the Montessori method of education this unique board...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...

Latest Member Reviews

Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

"RAVAGE THE DARK is a satisfying conclusion to a YA fantasy duology. In this sequel, we begin with Cayo, Amaya,..."
Thirty Talks Weird Love

"One day, Thirty, a strange woman comes up to thirteen-year-old Anamaria and tells her she's from her future. Anamaria lives..."
Admission

"‘Admission’ by Julie Buxbaum is a modern and definitely current read on a topic that has been in the news...."
Running

"‘Running’ by Natalia Sylvester is a trend-setting anthem for anyone who has ever wanted to be the change they wish..."
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

"CITY OF SPELLS is a stunning conclusion to an enthralling YA fantasy duology. The book plunges us into the story..."
The Project

"What worked: This is one intense psychological tale of a girl trying to reconnect with her sister after she joins..."
Sweet & Bitter Magic

"SWEET & BITTER MAGIC is a lush and enthralling YA fantasy filled with magic, pain, and love. In this world,..."
Sing Me Forgotten

"SING ME FORGOTTEN is an enchanting, compelling, and unexpected YA fantasy retelling of Phantom of the Opera. In this world,..."
The Valley and the Flood

"Rose Colter is adrift. She can't be where she was staying for the holidays but she can't go home yet..."
Perfect on Paper

"PERFECT ON PAPER is a delightful YA romantic comedy. Darcy has been operating Locker 89 at her school for years...."
11 Paper Hearts

"Reviewed for YA Books Central A super cute and sweet story. The story: A year ago, a..."
shine your icy crown

"shine your icy crown by amanda lovelace is a 129-page collection of contemporary poems. It’s the second book in the..."
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

"THE CASTLE SCHOOL (FOR TROUBLED GIRLS) is a story of healing and friendship. Moira has been cast adrift since the..."
Go the Distance

"Hercules proved he was a true hero and became a god like his parents, Zeus and Hera. Meg is thrilled..."
Follow Your Arrow

"FOLLOW YOUR ARROW is a heartfelt read about love, breaking up, and being true to yourself. CeCe has made a..."
Down Comes the Night

"DOWN COMES THE NIGHT is an intriguing, slow-burn YA fantasy. Wren is a healer in the military of her queendom,..."
A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)

"A DARK AND HOLLOW STAR is a slowly building YA fantasy that takes the reader on a wild ride through..."
Daughters of Jubilation

"It's South Carolina in 1962. Sixteen-year-old Evvie has two little sisters to take care of, a single mother, and finally..."
Dark Stars

"DARK STARS by Danielle Rollins is the third book in her series of the same name. It begins with Dorothy..."
Muted

"Denver loves music and dreams of life making it with her R&B group, Angelic Voices. When the group (Denver, Dali,..."