Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 399
A haunting tale of finding and believing truth
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

*Audiobook review*

After a scandal in the city, Bram leaves to stay with her uncle James in his manor at Louth, a small town near the Hudson River. Louth has seen its own series of scandals though, and they call them the Dead Girls, a series of young women whose lives have been taken or ruined by the manor. As Bram struggles with her own ghosts, she now must deal with the town's as well, all while trying not to become one herself.

What I Liked:

The creep factor: Give me a trope of a small, creepy house/manor/town/etc. any day, and I will be immediately intrigued. Louth/the manor offers an interesting lore in the Dead Girls. Most prominently among them is the story of a young woman who, after being torn apart from her lover, flees into the night in her wedding dress and drowns in the river. When Bram starts seeing a girl in a white dress, I got chills.

The theme of truth: A central theme to DON'T TELL A SOUL is truth: specifically, knowing or finding the truth and then knowing you won't be believed. This is a connecting theme between Bram and another character (name redacted to prevent spoilers). Bram has been repeatedly gaslit and manipulated by those around her. She feels the hurt of not being believed or even listened to. A big question this book asks is where do you go or who do you turn to when no one believes the truth?

The narration: Emma Galvin voices the audiobook and did a lovely job. Galvin has a distinct voice, not quite gravely or raspy but something close to it that well fits a protagonist who has a chip on her shoulder. There weren't many scenes with more than two or three people speaking, but in all of them, Galvin ensures each voice is clear and recognizable.

What Left Me Wanting More:

While there are many things I liked about DON'T TELL A SOUL, I kept wishing for a little more of something. It followed a solid plot, had complex characters, and of course had the wonderful creep factor, but the mystery rarely caught me off guard or surprised me. Some of the twists fell a little flat for me.

Final Verdict:

Kirsten Miller's DON'T TELL A SOUL is an enjoyable mystery about the significance of truth and the hauntings of trauma. Though the story could be enjoyed in any format, Emma Galvin does a particularly nice job at the narration, so I would recommend going the audiobook route, if that's your style.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after...
The Promised Prince

5.0 (1)
Perfect for fans of the Selection series by Kiera...
Indivisible

0.0 (0)
This timely, moving debut novel follows a teen's efforts...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi,...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And...
Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...

Latest Member Reviews

Secondhand Dogs

"Gus is the pack leader at Miss Lottie's house, and has kept the peace well with excitable Roo, loyal and..."
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

"HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: THE MUSICAL: THE SERIES: THE ROAD TRIP is a fun book that compliments the show by diving..."
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

"I'LL MEET YOU IN YOUR DREAMS is a gorgeously illustrated picture book about parental love that spans space and time...."
No Adults Allowed (Super Sidekicks #1)

"This is a cute read! No Adults Allowed is the first book in a new series from author Gavin Aung..."
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

"THE LAST FALLEN STAR is a thrilling epic fantasy. Riley Oh is a saram, a person without magic, adopted by..."
I Don't Want to Go to School

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL features Dinosaur and Mouse, who are both scared of their first day of..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a delightful board book about baseball. The book begins with heading to the park to play baseball..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
Sam Can't Sleep

"SAM CAN'T SLEEP is a fun picture book read that introduces the concept of nocturnal animals. It's nighttime, and all..."
Welcome to California

"WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA is a fun picture book of facts about the state. It covers topics from the state capitol..."