Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 422
satisfying conclusion to an enchanting YA fantasy duology
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

ALL THE TIDES OF FATE picks up Amora's story a season or two after the previous book ended. She is now ruling Visidia, grieving her father's death, and trying to forge ahead as best she can. Amora has lost a part of her soul, her magic, and her father in the events of the last book, and here, she is trying to become the best queen that she could be. When she hears from a villain that there may be a way to restore her magic and undo the things that have happened, Amora is willing to seize the chance and follow the threads to adventure and danger.

She cloaks this journey within one that her advisors have recommended - trying to find a spouse and sire an heir. As she travels to the islands within her borders, Amora finds that she still has more to learn about ruling and about the needs of her kingdom. While she travels with her closest friends, Amora's grief and fears keep her apart, not allowing her to share her burdens and sorrows. Keeping these secrets could have dangerous consequences.

What I loved: The world-building in this series really blows the reader away with well-crafted cultures, magic, and mythology. Visidia and its people really come to life on the pages, and I love the way that magic, mermaids, and gods are woven throughout the story. In terms of the characters, the fall-out from the first book felt very real. Amora is struggling, deeply, and her isolation is self-imposed but also a protective mechanism after the trials of the first book. Her grief over her soul/magic and her father are tangible and ever-present, and this felt so genuine. Her character continues to grow through these and other experiences, as well as through interactions with her friends.

We should all hope to have such friends - what a fantastic group of characters. I loved every word I read about each of them, and I would have loved to read a book on them all. They are all so whole and real and with their own stories to tell. I was fascinated by the whole main group, and I grew to love them all through the telling. In terms of the romance, it was a backseat to the themes of politics, morality of power, and grief, but every drop of it we saw was potent. I definitely loved them as a couple and to see how the dynamics and relationship shifted with the challenges placed before them.

In addition to defining herself, Amora must also define the way she wants her country to be run and its future. These weighty decisions are quite thought-provoking, and a major theme is lying, forgiveness, and the path forward from such. The rulers of Visidia have lied to the people for generations, and although she cannot change the past, Amora has major decisions to make about the way she will move the country forward and the truths that the people deserve. These discussions and the way that these ideas and themes evolve throughout the story - from the smaller scale of friends to the larger scale of the country - were really thought-provoking.

On another note, the plot is well wrapped-up, and it did not feel rushed. This was the ending that Amora and her story deserved (even if I may not be ready to leave this fantastic world yet).

Final verdict: With intricate world-building, intriguing themes, and fantastic characters, ALL THE TIDES OF FATE is a satisfying and thought-provoking conclusion to a strong YA fantasy duology. Highly recommend for fans of FABLE, DANCE OF THIEVES, and TO KILL A KINGDOM.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...
The City Beautiful

0.0 (0)
Death lurks around every corner in this unforgettable Jewish historical...
The Shape of Thunder

0.0 (0)
Cora hasn’t spoken to her best friend, Quinn, in a...
Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town

0.0 (0)
A lyrical and heartfelt collection by an award-winning writer that...
The Republic of Birds

0.0 (0)
A young witch must save her sister from evil birds...
Fearless

0.0 (0)
Better Nate than Ever meets Love Sugar Magic in this...

0.0 (0)
"It was a test, you fool,” she sneered, “to see...
Ducks on the Road: A Counting Adventure

0.0 (0)
From Caldecott Honor artist Anita Lobel comes a touching and...
Sloth and Smell the Roses

0.0 (0)
A playful board book about the pillars of mindfulness from...
Curious About Insects

0.0 (0)
Perfect for the littlest bug buffs, this board book offers...
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

0.0 (0)
After solving the case of Truly Devious, Stevie Bell...
Simone Breaks All the Rules

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of You Should See Me in...

Latest Member Reviews

You Are Fantastic!

"YOU ARE FANTASTIC! is a brightly colored and cheerful read celebrating YOU! The book walks through some metaphorical compliments, such..."
Early One Morning

"EARLY ONE MORNING is a picture book walk around a farm. A little boy heads out to find a couple..."
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

"LITTLE SAP is a beautifully illustrated story about growing up, seasons, and forests. Little Sap can't wait to be a..."
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

"THE LITTLE THINGS is a charming and powerful story about the contagious nature of kindness. A little girl heads to..."
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

"THE CRUELEST MERCY is an intriguing second book in an enthralling YA fantasy series. After the rush and danger of..."
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

"What worked: This was a fun take on Crazy Rich Asians meets descendants of Empress Regent of China. Gemma..."
Fiver Finds Home

"'Fiver Finds Home' by Jill Bugbee, illustrated by Jennifer Davison, is a story of friendly Fiver, a blue giraffe who..."
The Lost Legends

"The Lost Legends is one of those books that has everything in it. A princess, an evil king, pirates, a..."
Ducks on the Road: A Counting Adventure

"DUCKS ON THE ROAD is a charming and simple picture book with a counting theme. Mama and Papa Duck are..."
Sloth and Smell the Roses

"SLOTH AND SMELL THE ROSES is another charming and colorful book from the fantastic sister duo, Eunice and Sabrina Moyle...."
Curious About Insects

"CURIOUS ABOUT INSECTS is a great non-fiction board book that lays out some basic facts about insects. Each page has..."
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

"THE BOX IN THE WOODS is a fantastic continuation of Stevie's story with a whole new cold case to solve...."

"Miles "Pudge" Halter seeks for a "Great Perhaps", and attends Culver Creek, a boarding school. Yet, he finds himself with..."

"To say that this book was one of my most anticipated releases for 2021 is an understatement. After the impact..."

"Oh my goodness what a way to end this series! I honestly took a little longer to finish this book..."

"I absolutely loved this sequel. The first one was such a good set up for this book. Nita is free..."
Not Even Bones

"So, this book was not what I was expecting it to be. First, it takes place in the real world...."
Bird House

"BIRD HOUSE is a lovely story about a young girl and her abuela, who find an injured bird. They treat..."
More Than Sunny

"MORE THAN SUNNY is a sweet picture book about siblings, seasons, and childhood fun. The story features two siblings who..."
Whose Big Rig?

"WHOSE BIG RIG? is a delightful board book that takes children through the vehicles involved in building a light rail,..."