Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 425
engaging STEM-themed YA contemporary romance
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE QUANTUM WEIRDNESS OF THE ALMOST-KISS is a delightful YA STEM-themed romance. Evie and Caleb have been BFFs since they were five. Now that they are teens, they attend the same boarding school together for teens who are gifted in mathematics, physics, programming, and engineering. Evie has trouble connecting with other people, in no small part because of her social anxiety and panic attacks, which are under control with cognitive-behavioral therapy. They have long been exacerbated by the horrible and intense bullying she experienced at past schools - though luckily, that is not the same at the current school. She may also be on the spectrum of neurodivergence, as she has trouble reading and understanding people's emotions.

Although many boys have seemed interested in Evie, she has not found herself romantically interested in any of them - until Leo, the new boy who is also gifted with mathematics like Evie. Caleb has been in love with Evie for as long as he can remember, but she has not been interested in anything but their whole-hearted friendship and deep understanding. Caleb is the most important person in her life, but she is starting to understand the desire for physical romantic connections with the feelings she gets from Leo. Told in both Evie and Caleb's points-of-view, we follow them during an eventful year of romances and pining, where they also attempt to win a major prize that could change their futures.

What I loved: I really love the perspectives on STEM, toxic family, and deep friendships (Caleb and Bex). As a female in mathematics, Evie experiences prejudice from teachers and adults that force her to have to prove her abilities - something that would not happen if she was a boy. This theme was really well woven throughout the book with Evie's experiences and mentioned regarding other classmates who experience similar prejudices not being white. A lot of the book takes place internally, and I felt that this really brought both Evie and Caleb to life, as well as expounded on internal struggles so well.

The romance is definitely the focus of the book, and there is a lot of related angst and tension. I actually really enjoyed the journey and was captivated by the story and the will-they-won't-they vibes. The perspectives and writing really pull the reader in and keep the book flowing well. The addition of the competition was a great way to bring them all together.

I also really appreciated that the book shows the importance of therapy through some of Evie's sessions and her reflections. This also gives her the courage to tackle problems with her toxic family, particularly her mother whose controlling and single-minded sentiments could have dangerous consequences. The boundaries that Evie creates for herself with the aid of her therapist set a good example.

Final verdict: This book is ultimately a charming friends-to-more, STEM-themed YA contemporary romance. Recommend for fans of THE CODE FOR LOVE AND HEARTBREAK, THE KISS QUOTIENT, and FOUR DAYS OF YOU AND ME.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...

Latest Member Reviews

Reclaimed

"HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL BY doctor0lovespell@gmail.com My name..."
New Moon (Twilight #2)

"HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL BY doctor0lovespell@gmail.com My name..."
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

Twilight (Twilight #1)

Counting Down with You

Counting Down with You

"WHAT I LOVED: Claire is a rich Chinese girl living the high life in Shanghai with both her parents even..."
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

"SISTER OF THE BOLLYWOOD BRIDE is an engaging YA contemporary read about sisterhood, family, and community with a dash of..."
On the Way to Birdland

"Reviewed By Vincent Dublado for Readers’ Favorite A touching coming of age novel by Frank Morelli, On..."
The Hollow Inside

"THE HOLLOW INSIDE is a shocking and riveting YA thriller. Phoenix and her mother Nina have been living out of..."
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

"SPELLS TROUBLE is a thrilling YA fantasy that takes the reader from Salem during the witch trials to the midwest..."
10 Truths and a Dare

"10 TRUTHS AND A DARE is a book about family and owning up to your mistakes. Olivia is about to..."
The Beautiful Ones

"It's the start of Grand Season and Nina's chance to join the Beautiful Ones, Loisail's notable socialites, hasn't gone well...."
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin #1)

"This was... one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was one of my absolute favorite..."
Yes No Maybe So

"I should start by saying I don't normally read books involving politics because I read to escape real life. That..."
Made in Korea

"MADE IN KOREA is a sweet romantic-comedy about competition, family, and reaching for your dreams. Valerie runs a very successful..."
The Keeper of Night

"HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR.IFADE CONTACT ON WHATS_APP NUMBER +1(551)333-5249. OR HIS EMAIL ..."
Perfectly Parvin

"PERFECTLY PARVIN is a laugh-out-loud, charming YA contemporary fiction read. Parvin is about to begin her freshman year of high..."
Thirty Talks Weird Love

"******PLEASE READ***** URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR..."
The Love Song of Ivy K. Harlowe

"THE LOVE SONG OF IVY K. HARLOWE is a new adult read about love, pining, and friendship. Andie is 19..."