Review Detail

The Companion Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1466
Claustrophobic, creepy and haunting
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Margot is the survivor of a devastating accident in which her entire family drowns in their car. She is taken in by the family of a lawyer, a former colleague of her dad's who owes her father his life. They live on an enormous, isolated family estate. She is asked to be a companion to their daughter, Agatha, a vivacious 16-year-old girl who has inexplicably become catatonic. Laura, Agatha's mother has very strict codes of behavior in general and in how Margot relates to Agatha. The house is remote and completely cut off from the outside world, no cell service, no wi-fi and a long way from the nearest town. Margot starts to sense that things are not as they seem. The author is very skillful in creating an unsettling, foreboding and claustrophobic atmosphere. The reader is on edge throughout. The Companion feels like classic gothic horror, although it is set in the present day. It's a perfect haunting, creepy thriller and I read it in two days.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

Tales from the Inner City

"In this heavily illustrated short story collection, Tan explores the interconnectedness of humans and the natural world. Using animals to..."
Sanctuary

"X-men Gen X (i.e. the teen version) meets Aliens-lite in this survival-in-space story. Told in first-person past-tense from..."
InterWorld (InterWorld #1)

"A solid sci-fi/urban fantasy adventure premise, ideally targeting the mid-to-upper Middle Grade demographic. It’s a quick read—overall fun and fast-paced...."
Illuminae

"Wow! I'm not even sure what to say about this book without ruining it for everyone. I'm not normally much..."
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)

"This book was so unusual and satisfying in so many ways. Then there was the one bit - if you've..."
The Maze Runner

"Nice story that unfolds really fast, and in an interesting way. I enjoyed this first part to the trilogy...."
The Return (The After Trilogy: Book Two)

"Kelly St. Clare is a genius! An evil genius for sure, but she's still a genius! This book was..."
The Return (The After Trilogy: Book Two)

"You don't expect science fiction to have you rolling in laughter. The story: Let's face it, the..."
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)

"Set in Morganville, Texas, Claire Danvers has just started university and is living in a horrible dormitory on campus. Constantly..."

"This is one of the only series that does make me think and that sticks with me long after I've..."
Illuminae

"This book jumps right into the action. Kady and Ezra's home planet; Kerenza is invaded by BeiTech. UTA (United Terran..."

"A quick read but really enjoyable! The characters are believable and the boys are just WOW. It seems a little..."
The Maze Runner

"The Maze Runner is the first novel in a series set in a dark post-apocalyptic world. Our central character..."
Illuminae

"The story follows exes Kady and Ezra after two rival corporations decide to go to war, resulting in the destruction..."
Behind The Throne

"An action-dense sci-fi full of politics and intrigue—with strong crossover appeal for fantasy fans, especially those who enjoy works along..."

" Claire is sixteen years old, and starting her first year of post-secondary education in Morganville. After angering Monica, one..."
Illuminae

"Lo and behold, the book that put me into a reading slump for a while because I couldn’t find anything..."
Sing Down The Stars

"Sing Down the Stars by L.J. Hatton is book one in The Celestine Series, a sci-fi tale about an alien..."
Resurgence (Silver Blackthorn #3)

"The adventure and rebellion of Silver Blackthorn ends here. The third and last book in the trilogy, RESURGENCE starts off..."
Alight

"What a fantastic followup to Alive, the first book in this series! The author uses a nice technique for reminding..."