Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1082
These Violent Delights
(Updated: November 09, 2020)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai is the heir to the powerful Shanghai gang the Scarlets. Their rivals are the Russian White Flowers. Her former lover Roma Montagov is behind a brutal betrayal that killed many of the Scarlets. Because of this, Juliette is sent away to America. Now she's back and wants vengence for the deaths his gang caused.

The blood feud between these two gangs runs deep. Then a violent illness hits the city. A sickness that kills not only the Scarlets, but the White Flowers as well. When Roma's younger sister falls victim, he reaches out to Juliette for a truce. But the betrayal is one that Juliette can't forgive. Or can she for the sake of her people's survival? Because if they don't come together, there will be no-one left in the city for either gang to rule.

What worked: Wow. Just wow. This is a powerful historical where two former lovers must work together to save the city they love. There's violence, betrayals, and deception throughout this gripping story. I was totally riveted from the first page.

Juliette is strong and does what she needs to in order to show she is the rightful heir to the Scarlet gang. This means more than once she uses whatever methods she has in order to show her strength. She has to do this as her cousin Tyler feels he's the rightful heir.

Roma is the more sensitive one in this story. Yes, he uses violence, but isn't so quick to use it. His trusted friends Marshal and his cousin Benedikt help him and also stay close to his side when a violent illness strikes.

The whole concept of 'supernatural' insects causing murderous chaos is intense and chilling. This magical realistic twist and what's behind it kept me glued to the pages. More than a few times I screamed out when Juliette and Roma got closer to the final reveal. And it's a powerful one!

There's great pacing and vivid descriptions of 1920s Shanghai where foreigners try to overrun the city. The tensions between the people are realistically shown and set behind the racism and sexism that not only happened then, but is relevent for today. There's also mention of the Communists and how they reach out to the poor in the city.

I admit, I didn't know who might in fact be behind the illness. There's a few red herrings and final reveal caught me off guard. I love when that happens!

Romeo and Juliet battle a violent illness in 1920 Shanghai. This story is complete with twists and turns and where romance between two warring gangs is put to the ultimate test.
Good Points
1. Romeo and Juliet battle a violent illness in 1920 Shanghai
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...
White Smoke

0.0 (0)
The Haunting of Hill House meets Get Out in this...

Latest Member Reviews

""The Witch of Willow Hall" was a fascinating book, perfect for Fall! Lydia is the middle daughter of a wealthy..."
Zombie Queen of Newbury High

"This book was probably the best book I have ever read. I loved the end so much I wished there..."
The King of Bones and Ashes (Witches of New Orleans #1)

"THE KING OF BONES AND ASHES is a story set around three witches living in New Orleans, as magic fades..."
House of Furies

"HOUSE OF FURIES by Madeleine Roux is creepy, gory, and full of suspense. Louisa Ditton has escaped an intolerable..."
The Coven (Sweep #2)

"This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2016/12/the-coven-by-cate-tiernan.html Morgan is a blood witch with strong magickal powers and..."
Dracula: A Coloring Classic

"Goth coloring enthusiasts gather 'round. Bram Stoker's Dracula is a classic, now turned into a coloring book. The pages are..."
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

" Violet's ex-rich family isn't much help to her and her brother; after all, their parents ditched them for Europe...."
Behold The Bones

"Candance "Candy" Pickens is fascinated with the folk lore of her small Louisianan town which includes a yearly birthday ritual..."
This Monstrous Thing

"In this alternative world, it's 1816 and it's illegal for anyone to use machines to replace body limbs. Those..."
This Monstrous Thing

"In the year 1818, Alasdair Finch lives in a world where men have mechanical parts and live hidden away with..."
Ghostlight

"Avery enjoys spending summers at her Grandma’s Southern farm with her brother, but this year is different. Her brother no..."
Sanctuary

"Cecilia is forced back to her island home after her aunt's death. Sanctuary is a centuries old French-Gothic mansion..."
Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy #3)

"UNMADE is the final book in THE LYNBURN LEGACY. It concludes the story of Kami Glass, Ash Lynburn, and Jared..."
Untold (The Lynburn Legacy #2)

"UNTOLD is the second book in THE LYNBURN LEGACY. Ash and Jared and Ash's mother are the only ones who..."

"After the events of Untold, Kami and her friends and trying to regroup. Rob has taken over Sorry-in-the-Vale and he’s..."
The Lovely and the Lost

" MY THOUGHTS This book takes place shortly after book one. The Waverly's are still living in France, but now..."
Untold (The Lynburn Legacy #2)

"The sequel to Unspoken finds Kami and her friends in a fight against Rob Lynburn and his sorcerers. Rob wants..."
A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter #3)

"MY THOUGHTS I loved The Madman's Daughter! Her Dark Curiosity was a bit of a letdown, but this book..."

"I did like it, but I feel like it could have been stronger."
A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter #3)

"After the events of Her Dark Curiosity, Juliet flees London with Montgomery, Lucy, Balthazar, and a deathly ill Edward. Their..."