Crossing Lines Featured
Young Adult Fiction 638
An important story
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reviewed for YA Books Central

And engaging story about how our differences shape our worldview.

The Story:
Allie and Brandon should be the perfect couple. On the outside that's exactly what they appear to be. And then a school shooting takes over the country's priorities and sweeps through their town in the form of teen-organized protests. Everyone has to say what they believe, are they with the protestors or against them.
And can a relationship survive such a monumental difference in values?

What I Loved:
This book frames the gun debate from the view points of teenagers who are the ones that have to deal with active shooter drills and the fear of just walking into their high schools. It's not about the adults making decisions for them. They're fighting back, and it's wonderful to see.
We also get to see the characters grappling with their own beliefs because nothing is set in stone, no one is unchangeable. It's a refreshing take on an old debate that's written is an easy-flowing style.

What was just okay:
I had a hard time with Brandon. At times, he was so stubborn and didn't have reasons for why. I'm not sure he even knew why he believed the way he did.
The relationship happens super quickly and could have been developed more to help us feel for the fractures that were happening.

Final Verdict:
The kind of story that's not just enjoyable, but important. It should be read by all teenagers.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

0.0 (0)
A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome! Within...
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

0.0 (0)
Animals--they're cute and fluffy, cuddly and puffy, and ... sometimes...
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Drew Sheneman brings budding paleontologists the truth about...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from New...
Soulswift

0.0 (0)
A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must rethink...
Goblin King

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Beautiful Wild

0.0 (0)
You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage...

Latest Member Reviews

Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

"Earth-Shattering Events by Robin Jacobs is a wonderfully thought-out book that details different natural disasters: what they are, how we..."
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

"Gut Garden by Katie Brosnan is a well-thought out journey through our digestive system, introducing kids to the bacteria and..."
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

"National Geographic Kids is always sure to be a winner at my house. Their newest release has been deemed the..."
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

"Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct by Drew Sheneman is a short, illustrated nonfiction book introducing children to one of the more..."
Space Maps

"SPACE MAPS is a seriously cool oversized book with tons of information about the universe, planets, stars, our exploration, and..."
Curious About Mammals

"CURIOUS ABOUT MAMMALS is a board book that presents some basic facts about mammals alongside realistic illustrations. It starts with..."
Our Dogs, Ourselves

"Ms. Horowitz is a scientist who studies dogs and who has written several books about dogs and their behavior, including..."
Blood and Germs: The Civil War Battle Against Wounds and Disease (Medical Fiascoes)

"One of the enduring conundrums of readers advisory I have is this: how do I get books about war to..."
What Can You See? At Night

"WHAT CAN YOU SEE? AT NIGHT is a delightful die-cut board book that peeks through to show all sorts of..."
I Can Code: If/Then

"I CAN CODE: IF/THEN is a book that tries to distill coding concepts to a toddler level. The book takes..."
I Promise You

"I PROMISE YOU is a lovely picture book read of a message between caregiver and child. The book promises the..."
Pocket Piggies: Christmas!

"POCKET PIGGIES: CHRISTMAS! is an adorable photo collection of miniature pigs in Christmas scenes. The text creates some rhymes, but..."
When I Grow Up, I Want to Be

"WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE is a fun flap-filled board book that shows a few high-profile careers...."
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

"BE A VOTER! is a delightful collection of stickers that encompass the power of voting, the democracy, and the reasons..."
Indestructibles: Big and Little: A Book of Opposites

"BIG AND LITTLE: A BOOK OF OPPOSITES is a great book for introducing the concept of opposites to babies. The..."
Indestructibles: All Year Round: A Book of Seasons

"ALL YEAR ROUND: A BOOK OF SEASONS is a delightfully simple book that presents the seasons. Targeted towards infants and..."
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

"THE THING ABOUT BEES: A LOVE LETTER is an informative and gorgeously illustrated picture book about bees. The book describes..."
Hans Christian Andersen: The Journey of His Life

"Like most other people, I grew up devouring Hans Christian Andersen’s stories. His fairy tales are the first stories I..."
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: DINOSAURS is a really delightful creative journey. The book features ten dinosaurs which children can paint..."
A World of Opposites

"A WORLD OF OPPOSITES is a beautiful book of photography from around the world with a focus on opposites. Each..."