Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 784
Stunning collection of Edgar Allen Poe retellings
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

HIS HIDEOUS HEART is a powerhouse of incredible writers retelling different works of Edgar Allen Poe. From "The Raven" to "The Fall of the House of Usher," there is a great mix of Poe's most popular works and his lesser known ones. HIS HIDEOUS HEART works for long time Poe fans as well as a complete introduction to him.

My favorite pieces:

-"It's Carnival!" by Tiffany D. Jackson- I am a huge fan of Jackson's thriller novels, but WOW. She knocked it out of the park in this horror short story, and I'm so excited that she has a full length horror novel in the works. The tense, biting edge she carries in her writing is unparalleled.

-"Happy Days, Sweetheart" by Stephanie Kuehn- This was the first piece I've read from Kuehn, but it won't be the last. Set in a cut throat academy, this retelling of the "Tell-Tale Heart" takes such a unique and powerful spin that I read it twice in a row to feel the impact again.

Though those two are my favorite, there are many other excellent stories ranging from contemporary to scifi to historical, all with a distinctive voice and approach. The only issue I had was the placement of a few of the stories. They were a little too abrupt and/or awkward shift in tone. However, most flowed beautifully. It was a hard collection to put down.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account