Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 791
compelling and enthralling sequel
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

GREYTHORNE is an enthralling sequel to BLOODLEAF, a YA fantasy series with intricate world-building and memorable characters. Aurelia is a princess and a blood witch in a country that persecutes blood magic. After the events of the first book, she has returned to her country and is trying to survive while also helping out the refugees arriving there. She believes that the best way she can help her brother, the prince, is by staying away, but this request becomes more complicated than she could have imagined.

As she learns that her life has thrown the dimensions out of balance and the consequences of her future choices have ramifications on more levels than she could imagine. The path that she sets out on to correct them is challenging and full of unexpected characters and complexities.

What I loved: My absolute favorite part of this book was the wild twists at the end that completely surprised me and were absolutely so fantastically woven in. It really blew my mind and was masterfully done. Although the beginning third of the book took a while to really find its stride, the rest of the book is fantastically plotted, full of twists, and really builds this already engaging world. We learn more of the mythology of this world and the roles that people play. I also really appreciated some background of the villain of the story that really create a more three-dimensional character plus add some new and unexpected links.

Like the first, this sequel really drew me in with the intricate world-building and shocking twists. The characters are well-composed and it is easy for the reader to become invested in their destinies, particularly Aurelia. She is flawed and makes mistakes but also passionate and courageous. Her story is one that is eagerly followed. There are some new characters here that I found really compelling and I really enjoyed the journey.

Final verdict: With lush world-building, lots of action/adventure, and compelling characters, GREYTHORNE is an excellent continuation of Aurelia's story that will blow readers away.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account