Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1655
twisty and surprising YA mystery
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE INHERITANCE GAMES is a twisty mystery full of unique characters. Avery Grambs is living out of her car after her sister's abusive ex-boyfriend moves back in. Her mother died in the past, and her (half) sister is all she has. Then, suddenly, she is summoned to Texas for the reading of a will for one of the richest men in the world. Avery has never even really heard much about him, and this comes as a big surprise.

An even bigger surprise comes after the reading of the will - Avery is to inherit nearly all of his money and holdings. This will only happen if she moves into Hawthorne house with all of his family who were snubbed in the will. His four handsome grandsons are also living there, and they start to dig deeper into this oddity, setting them on an advanced quest/scavenger hunt that will also reveal the secrets they have been keeping.

What I loved: This story is all very intriguing. We don't know why Avery was chosen and why the will comes with the conditions it does. There are a number of other mysteries that crop up along the way and every one of them keeps you guessing. The Hawthorne brothers are shrouded in mystery and excellent secret keepers, and I found them all to seem like caricatures of people at the beginning, but they develop as Avery learns more about them. I was completely invested in the characters and the games they are playing by the end.

And I really love that the ending shocked me. It immediately made me turn back through the book for the clues I may have missed. I cannot wait to see what will happen next, and I definitely want to follow this series.

Final verdict: Twisty and surprising, THE INHERITANCE GAMES is a YA contemporary shrouded in mystery and filled with intriguing characters. Highly recommend for fans of TRULY DEVIOUS, #MURDERTRENDING, and/or THEY WISH THEY WERE US.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account