Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 671
absolutely fantastic novel with all the feels
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE FAITHLESS HAWK is one of my favorite reads of 2020. I laughed, I sighed, I cried, and this book even made me shiver- it is that good. I am pretty much a jumbled mess of thoughts, in the best way. Seriously. This series should be on the top of reads lists everywhere. This book is a sequel to THE MERCIFUL CROW, so you do need to read the first book before jumping into this one, but Owen does do a good job of providing context throughout, so that you can read the second one without having immediately read the first.

There is betrayal, magic, romance, and destiny all combined so beautifully within. Fie is a Crow Chieftain in a world where people are separated by their birth into castes, where they have Birthrights, a type of magic for people in their caste. Crows have no birthrights and are considered the lowest of the low. They scrape out the barest living providing mercy (death) to people who have the Sinner's plague. Without them doing so, the plague would spread with devastating consequences. They have no home except the road, as they follow plague beacons to deal with the ill. Fie has never been satisfied with their lot, and she wants more for her people. She struck a bargain with the prince that should have led to more.

However, the evil queen, Rhusana, a witch who can control people through a strand of their hair, is determined to wipe Crows from the face of the earth, and it seems as though her plots and schemes will lead to the Crows demise. Fie cannot allow this to happen, even when forces seem to be working against her at every turn.

What I loved: Owen broke my heart and stitched it back together constantly in this book. I felt just about every emotion in this book, and it seriously gave me chills in places. I will also admit that I cried twice. Any book that can give the reader so much emotion and so strongly is one worth reading. I think this sequel was even better than the first (and I really loved the first), for its ability to take us on so many important journeys with underlying themes about politics, perspectives, and prejudices. There are so many characters here who will always own my heart, and they speak to the soul with their motives and emotions. It is hard to even describe how well-written this book is.

The plot is perfectly paced with plenty of unexpected twists and turns that I totally did not see coming. I love to be surprised, and this book managed to do it in a way that made sense. The romance that made us fall in love is here, but changed and with an undeniable pull. The characters are so compelling, and the plot delivers in a big way.

Final verdict: I cannot recommend THE FAITHLESS HAWK enough. Be prepared for a massive book hangover and absolutely no regrets after reading this book. Owen speaks to the reader's soul with this highly compelling and beautifully composed YA fantasy series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the right...

Latest Member Reviews

How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Permanent Record

"In many ways, Permanent Record confused me, irritated me at times, maybe even angered me a little, but eventually wowed..."
Goodbye from Nowhere

"Kyle Baker loves the times he visits his extended family at the family farm. He brings his girlfriend Nadia with..."
Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe

"JUST A BOY AND A GIRL IN A LITTLE CANOE is a YA contemporary fiction that is primarily about character..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
The Last True Poets of the Sea

"THE LAST TRUE POETS OF THE SEA is a beautiful coming-of-age story. After her brother attempts suicide, he is sent..."
No Place Like Here

"When Ashlyn’s father goes to prison and her mother goes to rehab for depression, her world falls apart. Ashlyn’s father..."
No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE is an engaging and summery YA contemporary that emphasizes healing and friendship. Ashlyn is at the..."
No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE by Christina June is a YA contemporary novel set in the Pennsylvania wilderness. Ashlyn, an admittedly..."
Hidden Pieces

"As of chapter one, Embry is a senior in high school, a girl feeling adrift as Christmas approaches, and the..."
Night Music

"NIGHT MUSIC is a beautiful YA coming-of-age/romance that brings classical music front and center. Ruby Chertok is the youngest of..."
The Geography of Lost Things

"THE GEOGRAPHY OF LOST THINGS by Jessica Brody is a YA contemporary novel that begins with Ali needing to sell..."
A Sky for Us Alone

"A SKY FOR US ALONE by Kristin Russell is a YA coming-of-age novel filled with mystery and heartache. It’s set..."
Mother Tongue

"As MOTHER TONGUE by Julie Mayhew begins, eighteen-year-old Darya envisions the bits of freedom she'll enjoy once her little sister,..."
Unstoppable Moses

"Feedback I am going to admit that I would have never picked up this book if I wasn’t provided a..."
Aesop Lake

"I loved this book. As a mom of a gay child, I was very happy to read a realistic story..."
Going Places

"GOING PLACES by Kathryn Berla is a coming-of-age novel that follows Hudson Wheeler through his senior year of high school...."
Hidden Pieces

"I loved Stokes’ Girl Against the Universe, and was very excited to hear she was coming out with another book!..."