Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 822
a satisfying, entertaining read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHAT I LOVED:
I genuinely can't imagine four different events happening simultaneously in the same complex, but it happens all the time at the novel's presumed location: the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. Without ever stepping foot outside the hotel and convention center, the authors paint a glorious, chaotic scene of percussionists, taxidermists, pop culture fans, and toddlers in tiaras sharing the same location for two or three days. The mix-ups and collisions that follow give readers fun scenes like Phoebe playing a xylophone solo with scalpels, a five-year-old beauty queen named Beige rebelling against her mother, and a nearly naked wannabe-Snape running drunkenly through the hotel lobby.

As funny it gets, it gets equally serious when the time calls for it. Phoebe has internalized misogyny to a horrific degree, Vanessa is stuck with the manipulative co-writer who's been leading her on and lying to her, and Callie is desperate to both get her father's attention and loosen his grip on her in the aftermath of her mom leaving them. They're all feeling adrift and friendless, but once they collide, the friendship that develops helps each girl grow into someone better and stand up for herself. Vanessa's storyline is the most arresting of the three, but Phoebe and Callie's stories are compelling in their own rights. They just don't have someone in their lives who's an unholy fannish combination of Msscribe and EL James.

WHAT LEFT ME WANTING:
Callie's storyline is the one most likely to make you cry, though the poor advice one character gives Callie is worrying. When she speaks to the character about her father's controlling behavior, such as lying to his ex-wife so she can't have their daughter for the summer, he tells Callie her dad "wouldn't try so hard to keep you near him all the time if he didn't want you around." Perhaps I've read too many stories of abusive, controlling parents, but it's chilling advice to me. Sometimes, parental control to the degree he asserts over Callie comes from someone feeling their child is their possession instead of a separate human being. Even my grandmother told me how her mother (my great-grandmother) wanted to keep her home and in a servant role rather than let her daughter live her life.

FINAL VERDICT:
Soleil may not get the comeuppance she deserves for making Vanessa think they're in a relationship when they're not, but The Pros of Cons is a satisfying, entertaining read I'd be happy to reread when I have the time. We all need tales of geekishness, female friendship, and stuffed turkeys to get by in our messy little world.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...

Latest Member Reviews

Heroes Level Up (Homerooms & Hall Passes #2)

"Albiorix and his crew are having a great time being back in Bríandalör, successfully completing a lot of quests, but..."
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

"RONAN BOYLE AND THE SWAMP OF CERTAIN DEATH is a comedic middle grade fantasy that features a young boy on..."
The Pros of Cons

"WHAT I LOVED: I genuinely can't imagine four different events happening simultaneously in the same complex, but it happens..."
Bad Brows

"BAD BROWS is a humorous picture book that follows Bernard when he wakes up for a day with brows that..."
Stick Dog Meets His Match (#10)

"As the soft, fragrant warmth of spring strips the chill from Stick Dog's world, he and his friends approach the..."
Frankenstein Doesn't Wear Earmuffs!

"This Halloween season, it is very cold, but Frankenstein still wants to participate in the Halloween festivities. However, his parents..."
My Calamity Jane

"What worked: This is a fun paranormal twist on historical figures set in the Wild West of 1876. I loved..."
My Weird School Special: We’re Red, Weird, and Blue! What Can We Do?

"It's February, which A.J. considers to be the worst month of all. It's hard to spell, teachers want to celebrate..."
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

"FEEDBACK I honestly don’t even know where to start. Originally I read this book because I got an advanced..."
The Bad Guys in the Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10)

"Snake is dead, and the Bad Guys, as well as the League of Heroes, are gathered for the funeral. Faced..."
Pig the Tourist

"PIG THE TOURIST features our beloved pug named Pig while he goes on vacation. The only thing is that he..."
Big Nate: Back to Back Hits: On a Roll and Goes for Broke

"This is a combination of two Big Nate novels; Big Nate on a Roll and Big Nate Goes For Broke...."
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

"Marty Fontana and his mother move to a new town for her job, and have a house that belonged to..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Adventure Jokes for Kids

"LAUGH OUT LOUD ADVENTURE JOKES FOR KIDS is packed from cover to cover with humor that are made for the..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

"LAUGH OUT LOUD HALLOWEEN JOKES is full of cute jokes that are perfect for children aged four and up. The..."
Everybody Says Meow

N/A
"What I Loved: This is one of those books that you can't help but smile while you read, even..."
Goldilocks For Dinner

"What I loved: The illustrations in this book are unique and eye catching, engaging the children from the outset. The..."
The Wobbly Waitress

"THE WOBBLY WAITRESS is a silly read that will make young children giggle. Mabel is a giraffe waitress at the..."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
King & Kayla and the Case of Found Fred

"After a swim, King smells someone new and he discovers a dog named Fred. Fred has lost his family, but..."