Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 554
Adorable and needed book.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A book so real it can be u comfortable at times.

The story:
Zelda doesn’t have a ton of experiences with boys, in particular with controlling boys. She attends an improv camp with her brother, and becomes the only girl to make the varsity team after catching the eye of the twenty-year-old coach. As they get to know each other more she learns the hard way that some experiences are best left unexplored.

What I loved:
First off, this book has amazing characters. There are a lot of them but the writing style makes it easy to remember who each of them are. Zelda’s brother, Will is protective of her in the best possible way. Not overbearing but enough to show how much he cares. And then there’s Jesse. Dear, sweet, Jesse. This book wouldn’t have any shred of hope without him.
The writing style in this book kept me glued for a one-sitting read. Even when I was uncomfortable (as this book should make everyone) I needed to keep going.
And holy diversity! A lot of books are diverse just for the sake of saying they are. But this... characters from so many backgrounds are weaves into the plot in a way that lets us know that they’re there, but treats it as a normal thing instead of some special aspect. Because diversity in our lives IS normal. That was the best part of the book.

What was just okay: In the first part of the book I didn’t get an inkling how bad things would get for Zelda and it made it hard to love the book at first. There are so many uncomfortable parts, and most were handled with care. I wish Zelda had stuck up for other people rather than doing what her teammates did when confronted with the sexism. There were examples of homophobia and racism that she looks for others to stand up about.

Final Verdict:
The kind of story all teenagers could learn something from (and adults). Well written. Fast paced. Diverse. I recommend this to anyone who wants more than fluff with their books. Stories like these are important.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Smoke and Mirrors: The Heartstone

0.0 (0)
Corbin, a powerful shapeshifting young mage, was just beginning to...
Better Together

0.0 (0)
Freaky Friday meets The Parent Trap in New York Times...
Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

0.0 (0)
With over 30 million copies in print, Anna Dewdney's New...
City (Wheels at Work)

0.0 (0)
Delivering, collecting, transporting and recycling! Lift the flap to see...
A Season of Flowers

0.0 (0)
Michael Garland (Daddy Played the Blues) displays his impressive illustration...
You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...
The City Beautiful

0.0 (0)
Death lurks around every corner in this unforgettable Jewish historical...
The Shape of Thunder

0.0 (0)
Cora hasn’t spoken to her best friend, Quinn, in a...
Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town

0.0 (0)
A lyrical and heartfelt collection by an award-winning writer that...
The Republic of Birds

0.0 (0)
A young witch must save her sister from evil birds...
Fearless

0.0 (0)
Better Nate than Ever meets Love Sugar Magic in this...

0.0 (0)
"It was a test, you fool,” she sneered, “to see...

Latest Member Reviews

Brazen

"Historicals are one of my all time favorite genres. I also love anything that deals with the Tudors. ..."
Tarnish

"What I Liked: Having been greatly impressed by Longshore's debut novel, Gilt, I was eager to get my hands on..."
Tarnish

"I was so excited when I received the galley of TARNISH. I'd heard rumors that there was a YA..."
Gilt

"I was really going through a historical fiction kick for a minute there so when I heard about this book,..."
Gilt

"Gilt takes you back to Tudor times and shows you Cat Howard before and while she was married to King..."
Gilt

"This review begins with a confession. Intrigued? Here we go. Confession #1: I cheated on King Henry. Oh wait, that..."
Gilt

"In this historical fiction work, the “romance,” flirting, lust, deceit, and manipulation—all in the name of power—is virtually unceasing. At..."