Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 642
cute fake dating contemporary
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky is spending the summer with her family at their vacation home, when the barn burns down. Pinky's mother immediately accuses her of doing so- likely with an irresponsible paramour, and to defend herself, Pinky says she has a totally responsible boyfriend. However, she does not actually have one.

Then, Pinky hears about Samir and how his summer internship with a DC law firm fell through. Samir has everything in his life planned and is exactly the kind of guy her lawyer parents would love. She asks him to come spend the summer with her as her fake boyfriend and says she can help him get an internship with her mother, the Shark, during the school year. It seems like a win-win situation.

Even after the truth about the barn comes out that it was definitely not Pinky, Pinky is still eager for her parents' approval, something that Samir brings her. As she and Samir spend time together, they find that they are opposites in pretty much everything- and that can definitely attract. Together, they launch into Pinky's summer project- protesting the razing of the Butterfly Habitat she loves in favor of a condo complex.

What I loved: I really enjoy that the girl here has the "bad boy" vibe, even though Pinky's rebellions are activist projects and adopting an opossum. The romance heats up the pages, and its easy to cheer for Pinky and Samir, even as they seem to be fighting about everything early on. Their respect for the other's opinions- even when they don't agree- and their insight into each other's personalities really makes this a great romance read.

I also really loved the view on activism, the legwork of it, and its importance to a community and making voices heard. Pinky is a passionate character, and I loved seeing that passion and determination build towards something great (even if her parents were not on-board). I also appreciated the growth of Pinky, Samir, and Pinky's relationship with her mother throughout the book. The characters here are really great.

What left me wanting more: I would have liked some more focus on Samir and his relationship with his mother (especially what happened when she found out he was lying)- we don't really get closure on that, except a couple comments at the end.

Final verdict: Great for romantic comedy fans, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute summery read with a couple that is easy to cheer for! With extra themes of activism and dealing with parental expectations, this is a great YA contemporary read.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Curse of Roses

0.0 (0)
Based on Portuguese legend, this #OwnVoices historical fantasy is an...
I Don't Want to Wash my Hands!

0.0 (0)
From beloved children's author and illustrator Tony Ross, comes a...
Dance Like a Leaf

0.0 (0)
As her grandmother's health declines, a young girl begins to...
The Bitterwine Oath

3.3 (2)

0.0 (0)
San Solano, Texas, is a quaint town known for...
Sing Like No One's Listening

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a talented young singer...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface,...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from...
Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...

Latest Member Reviews

The Companion

"Margot is the survivor of a devastating accident in which her entire family drowns in their car. She is taken..."
Clown in a Cornfield

"When Quinn and her father move to a tiny town, she's hoping to fit in and finish high school. Kettle..."
Beyond the Ruby Veil (The Walls in the Ruby Sky, #1)

"BEYOND THE RUBY VEIL is a very dark YA fantasy that features a ruthless anti-heroine and a mysterious other world...."
Fiends on the Other Side (Chills, #2)

"FIENDS ON THE OTHER SIDE is a fantastic horror middle grade read that will definitely make readers want to turn..."
Horrid

"After Jane's father sudden dies, Her mother, Ruth, ends up moving them across the country. They move into her mother's..."
Horrid

"HORRID is an intensely creepy story that follows Jane and her mother, Ruth. Jane's father has just died and after..."
The Companion

"Everyone thinks Margot is lucky. She's the sole survivor of a horrific car crash that killed her family. While at..."
Burn Our Bodies Down

"Audiobook review Margot is tired of not getting answers from her mother about where she came from..."
His Hideous Heart

"HIS HIDEOUS HEART is a powerhouse of incredible writers retelling different works of Edgar Allen Poe. From "The Raven" to..."
Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women and Witchcraft

"WHAT I LOVED: The two stories that tie for the best of the anthology are Tess Sharpe’s “The Heart..."
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

"Lucy and Oliver Tinker and their father Charles are getting settled into Watch Hollow after their harrowing introduction to it..."
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers)

"Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with..."
Camp Murderface

"Tez and Corryn are not super happy to be traveling to Camp Sweetwater in 1983. Neither are super excited about..."
Seven Deadly Shadows

"Sixteen-year-old Kira Fujikawa loves helping at her family shrine. She also has a paranormal ability. She sees the not only..."
His Hideous Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: I read various poems and short stories written by Edgar Allen Poe as early..."
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

"Ren and Kip aren't sure what to expect when they visit their Aunt for Halloween. She works at an Old..."
Bury Me

"In horror books and movies, we often see dolls as the main source of scares( such as Annabelle or Child's..."
Wilder Girls

" THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. This book reads like BUTTER...… Moldy, rotten, disgusting butter,..."
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

"The most amazing thing about classic horror stories is how they still influence many writers today. To read 'the..."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."