Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 518
intriguing sequel
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE MORNING FLOWER continues the OMTE ORIGINS story as Ulla continues to search for her heritage and for the missing Eliana. She and Pan travel to Louisiana to see if they can get some answers from the Omte, though most of what they learn are dead-ends. Children's fairytales seem to keep popping up, but how they fit into the larger picture is not yet clear.

As the story builds, we do learn more about the mythology and the connections between the characters, as well as Ulla's own ancestry. That being said, the book does have the feel of an in-between book with plenty of running around and a cliffhanger ending.

What I loved: This book moves at a good pace, and it is easy to read within a day, without any sections that are weak-links in terms of pacing. The mythology and history of trolls is really interesting, and I really enjoyed the inclusion of the children's fairytale books. The world is fleshed out even further, and it's woven within our own. This is highly readable and character focused without a ton of action, so it feels more like talking to a friend, which has its own appeal.

What left me wanting more: I did like the building romance that was fleshed out a bit more in this one, though it still takes a backseat to everything else and felt a bit take-it-or-leave-it as it was not a big part of the plot. There are a few strings similar to the romance that feel like paths we wander on without resolution, but I am hoping that this will all come together in the next. Some characters who were major in the first book are pretty much left out of this one, so I will be curious to see their potential involvement in the next (as I missed them).

Final verdict: Overall, this is an engaging sequel that continues Ulla's story with a YA fantasy that builds an intriguing world. While the first book provides a foundation for the characters and place, this one continues to build on that with new mythology and lessons learned.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account