Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 458
thrilling and electrifying YA sci-fi
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

HONOR BOUND is an electrifying and thrilling YA sci-fi sequel. Zara, Beatriz, and Nadim are on the run from an enemy they never could have imagined. However, they and Typhon and his crew are unable to travel far without healing starlight. Typhon and Nadim are Leviathans, creatures who live in space and function as living spaceships while also being an alien race with their own customs and culture. Leviathans eat starlight for food and to aid with healing, with different wavelengths being ideal for different Leviathans.

Zara has deep-bonded with Nadim, a connection that makes the two into one and giving them a special bond that allows them to share feelings and pain. Typhon has connected with his Honors, but their connection is one-sided with Typhon controlling them. His grief has led him to spurn equal bonds, but he is still learning as well. The Honors and those they saved from the battle wreckage head to Sliver, a dangerous way-station in space, where they hope to barter for the starlight patches and medicine they need to be able to travel on and fight the enemy they are all too aware of.

However, their time on Sliver teaches them of the other dangers they face, and sends them out on a dangerous quest that will change their lives further.

What I loved: This series is full of space adventure, and this sequel was no different. It is even faster-paced and with wider and far-reaching universe development that imagines other alien races and technology. This world is absolutely fascinating, and the character growth that we saw in the first book only continues in this second book. I love the creatures, the Leviathans, and the bonds they create with their Honors, the humans (or other aliens) chosen to travel with them.

There are also some really interesting themes about humanity, the need for conquering and destruction, as well as the morality of such decisions. This further raises questions about motivations and the ethical value of different motivations, whether there is a better reason for destroying others or not. I found these themes truly intriguing and worth discussion.

Final verdict: A thrilling sequel, HONOR BOUND is an intricately woven YA sci-fi with fascinating themes. Highly recommend for fans of IGNITE THE STARS, HEART OF IRON, and FARSCAPE.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account