Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 339
YA contemporary about small-town life and rebellion
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE SMALL CRIMES OF TIFFANY TEMPLETON follow Tiffany after she has been released from reform school and returns to her small town, while still meeting regularly with a parole social worker. The book follows her through the current on-goings in her life and the letters she writes to the social worker (in training) about her past. There are clearly some secrets about the past that we learn from the start, but we don't yet know the lead up to them.

She and her BFF, David, are putting on a play that she wrote, and their actors/actresses are characters from around town.

What I loved: This is really a character-driven book, and the characterizations for people are quite expressive. Tiffany has a lot of opinions and these are shared from her point-of-view. I really liked some of the older people who participate in the play. Most people in the book are pretty unlikable (including Tiffany who has a lot of awful opinions, maybe some warranted, some not), which has its own appeal. I did enjoy some of the dark comedy in the book, like the refrain about the secretary who is good at her job.

What left me wanting more: There is a lot of ableist language in the book that felt gratuitous at times. While the mysteries could make the book compelling, I felt it fell a little flat, as I was not personally invested enough to want to dig deeper into the past and what had happened. Tiffany's parents were also fat, as she says, although her mother had bariatric surgery and tracks her weight on the gas station sign, and a lot of the language/discussion about her parents and their weight feels like fatphobia. I think toning down some of this and the ableist language (Tiffany doesn't seem to like much of anyone) would have made it easier for me to get into. A lot of the relationships are toxic also.

Final verdict: THE SMALL CRIMES OF TIFFANY TEMPLETON is a YA contemporary about small-town life, secrets, and rebellion.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

0.0 (0)
The West Highland Terrier that brought Harvey Comes Home to...
Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...

Latest Member Reviews

Princess Leia: Royal Rebel (Backstories)

"Before Leia was introduced as a feisty captured courier for Death Star schematics, she was a well-loved adopted princess of..."
Use The Force! (LEGO Star Wars: Activity Book)

"Once again LEGO and Star Wars team up to bring young fans a stellar activity book experience. Centering around..."
R2-D2 to the Rescue! (LEGO Star Wars: Chapter Book)

"LEGO and Star Wars team up for a beginner chapter book experience that takes some cheeky and entertaining liberties with..."
Face Off (LEGO Star Wars)

"The sarcasm is strong with this one. This format will likely hold the most appeal for young video game..."
Droid Tales (LEGO Star Wars: Episodes I-III)

"Based on the TV specials, Star Wars gets a child-friendlier facelift—LEGO style. In this abbreviated made-for-kids version of..."
Star Wars: A Galactic Pop-up Adventure

"As a special treat, we have a guest reviewer here today to tell you about STAR WARS: A Galactic Pop-Up..."
The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #7)

"Reader reviewed by Seth                              Ceasing of the Temples Tranquility Enter the peaceful..."