Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 796
compelling and thought-provoking YA dystopian
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

AGNES AT THE END OF THE WORLD is a poignant YA dystopian that really speaks to humanity and the present. Agnes has grown up in Red Creek, a cult that is ruled over by the Prophet and resembles those we have heard of. Women are suppressed and are wed when they are as young as 14 to men with many wives. Illnesses are only to be treated with prayer, and death is God's punishment for fault. Agnes had a revelation when she was young and the Earth spoke to her as a voice and music she knew as God. However, when she brought this up, she learned quickly to suppress it, her Sunday School teacher beating her hands with a Bible until her finger broke- only the Prophet can talk to God.

Now, Agnes is in rebellion and aware of the dangers it carries. She meets with someone from the outside to get the medicine that can save her brother Ezekiel, who has type 1 diabetes and would die without the insulin. However, doing so goes against all the Prophet's teachings, and Agnes lives a life which is otherwise "pure." Things are changing though, in her world and in the Outside, as the outsider she meets for medicine warns her.

Agnes must make hard decisions about who she is, the religion that raised her, and her own destiny.

What I loved: This book is highly addictive and captivating. Agnes and her story are something unique and different that speak to organized religion and cults, the problems with a black-and-white world view, sexism, the manifestation of God (as Agnes experiences), and faith. During the book, we see the world from 16-year-old Agnes and, to a lesser extent, her 15-year-old sister Beth's points-of-view, both intriguing, multidimensional, and heartfelt. Complicated love shines through the pages, primarily for humanity and family. This book gave me all the feels and chills as I was reading it, particularly right now when a plague feels somewhat prophetic (of course manifesting differently and with different consequences).

This book has elements of magical realism and the wonder of the world- for things we know and those we cannot yet know. The complexity of faith and religion is also touched on throughout in really intriguing ways. This is a truly thought-provoking read that will stick with me for some time.

Final verdict: Compelling and poignant, AGNES AT THE END OF THE WORLD is a fantastic read about humanity, faith, and love. The complexities and intricacies of the plot and relationships are beautifully combined into a triumph of dystopian fiction. Would highly recommend for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES, THE HANDMAID'S TALE, and THE GRACE YEAR.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Signs of Survival A Memoir of the Holocaust

0.0 (0)
RENEE: I was ten years old then, and my sister...
So. Many. Feelings Stickers: 2,700 Stickers for Every Mood

0.0 (0)
2,700 stickers for every mood! ...
Hi-Five Farm!

0.0 (0)
Ready, set, off we go! ...

0.0 (0)
Jolina can't take Claudine's bullying any longer! The taunts and...
Leaving England

0.0 (0)
Sometime around now an unnamed virus has laid London and...

0.0 (0)
A female-run society. An ambitious girl driven to become its’...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the Dark...

0.0 (0)
In the realm of Ryuu within the snow...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Jackie planned for every situation on her solo road-trip...

0.0 (0)
John Green meets Laurie Halse Anderson in this award-winning, "haunting,"...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling new...
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on a...
Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...

0.0 (0)
Capture his heart. Steal his crown. ...

0.0 (0)
Before the undead attacked, Hazel's life was simple: look out...

Latest Member Reviews

The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva leaves behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Spectacle

"WHAT I LOVED: Nathalie Baudin is an extraordinary girl even before she discovers her psychometric abilities. She’s just sixteen,..."
Somewhere Only We Know

"Everything I know about K-pop comes from thirsty Twitter fancams, what has made it into the American mainstream, and an..."
A Song Below Water

"WHAT I LOVED: Tavia and Effie’s world is ours with just a little myth-made-real on top. The Hart family..."
Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."
Off the Record

"Content warnings: rape, sexual harassment, sexual abuse Once upon a time, I had an ambition to become a journalist...."
The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, 2)

"What I Loved: THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY, a sequel to THE INHERITANCE GAMES, is a book full of intrigue and mystery..."
The Cost of Knowing

"THE COST OF KNOWING is a heartbreaking and beautiful read about family, fate, and racism. After losing his parents and..."
Curses

"* I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ for an honest review* “When..."
Between Perfect and Real

"BETWEEN PERFECT AND REAL is a heartfelt read about finding yourself and coming out. Dean knows that he is a..."
You Were Made for Me

"YOU WERE MADE FOR ME is a comedic YA contemporary/magical read about two friends, Katie and Libby, who somewhat accidentally..."