Review Detail

enthralling sequel to a unique YA fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE ARCHER AT DAWN is a fantastic sequel in the THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT trilogy. This second book picks up where the first one left off, again giving us both Esha and Kunal's perspectives. Esha, the Viper, is torn between duty to her cause, her own desires for revenge, and her growing feelings for Kunal. She has little time to think of these personal conflicts, as she travels to the Sun Mela, a religious time of celebration and contest, and the time is nearing for the Crescent Blades (the rebellion led by her and Harun) to act.

Kunal is now becoming central to a lot of the rebel plans, and he is finding himself torn between his loyalty to the soldiers, the family he did not know he had, and the rebels whose cause he has taken. His feelings for Esha are ever-present, but when she seems to keep things from him related to the cause, he wonders if she actually trusts him. He is also torn by his friendships with soldiers- one of whom is working for a rival rebellion (the Scales) and cannot seem to leave him out of the plots.

The Sun Mela reveals Vardaan's new plots, as Harun and his father (rulers of Dharka) are there under the guise of a peace treaty, but Vardaan (disputed ruler of Jansa) is hiding Reha, the lost princess, and clearly has bigger schemes afoot. The timeline is shortened for the Blades' action, and they must free Reha and replace Vardaan. Vardaan is also running a contest of battle skills that Kunal will enter while they investigate to get closer to where they need to be.

However, nothing is quite as it seems, and all sides are playing the others with potentially devastating consequences.

What I loved: This book had me completely hooked on the contests, the mysteries, and the romance. This series is really unique, based on Indian history and Hindu mythology, and while the world-building is less in the sequel than the first, which laid everything out, we still get these connections and further information here. This did not feel like a filler book to flesh out a trilogy. A lot happens here, and the contest really keeps the pace fast.

The character development here really shines, as we witness the internal conflicts for both Esha and Kunal. These result in some interesting discussions of loyalty, romance, trust, and revenge. For instance, Esha's need for revenge can hinder her progress and cannot correct the past/cannot bring back her parents. She debates over the value and need for it as well as the internal feeling of hatred that penalizes mostly herself.

I also really loved the twist at the end that I did not see coming. I love being surprised, and this definitely surprised me. There are many political games being played, and it seems as though the bigger games are just beginning. It is going to be difficult to wait for the final installment in this trilogy.

Final verdict: Atmospheric and unique, THE ARCHER AT DAWN is full of magic, action, and truly unique characters. This sequel really builds on the first book to create an engaging and captivating story that is well written in its own right.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Endgame (The Wielders of Arantha Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Go to Mount Calabur. Stand on the Nexus. Win the...
Fae's Promise (Crimes of the Fae)

0.0 (0)
Griffin O’Shea is trapped. Again....
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

0.0 (0)
A mythical healing flower. A fractured kingdom. A curse unbroken....
Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...

Latest Member Reviews

Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas

"Reader reviewed by safia It is the third great book in the Georgia Nicolson series. Funny and fabulous, it..."

"Reader reviewed by linda Georgia Nicholson has all the problems a normal girl has; embarrassing parents (who drag her off..."

"Reader reviewed by Jersey georia is still the girlfriend of a sexgod (robbie) and she cheats on him with Dave..."

"Reader reviewed by iki Another Georgia Nicolson story this time with Red Bottomosity, Angus,Naomi the sex kitten, the Sex God,..."

"Reader reviewed by Chloe O.M.G. At this rate these books will have e laughing till my death! They get better..."

"Reader reviewed by noxzeema This book made me laugh so hard. Georgia is the girlfriend of Robbie, the..."

"Reader reviewed by LJK Georgia is back! And so is Angus, and the Sex God, and Dave the Laugh, and..."

"Reader reviewed by mzblonde I love these books. This is the third in the series and I can't wait to..."

"Reader reviewed by Dylana The confessions of Georgia Nicholson are the best! They keep you laughing nonstop. They are..."

"Reader reviewed by Kristen This was the 3rd book in the Georgia Nicolson series. I liked this on the best...."

"Reader reviewed by lookwhaticando I loved this book because it was a laughout loud YA fiction. I loved how she..."

"Reader reviewed by Heather This Book is a wonderful enterpretation of a teenage girls life. From boys, to beauty, this..."