Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 406
When I saw this book, I immediately said “mine”
(Updated: May 19, 2020)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with the Countess Elizabeth Báthory, you can expect a YA appropriate gruesome tale that does the countess justice. For those new to the infamous countess, it might be important to note, this is not a vampire story. Based on the cover and the blurb, I had some expectations of an Elizabeth Báthory, gender reversal Dracula/Vlad mashup, and I was 100% down for that.

However, Blood Countess is a wonderful historical fiction novel that transports us to the rich tapestry of a 17th century Hungarian landscape. We experience the countess’s story through the eyes of Anna Darvulia, daughter of a local midwife and quite versed in the healing arts. When a chance encounter with the countess leads to a position at the castle, Anna jumps at the opportunity to earn the kind of wage her family can only dream of. She begins as a scullery maid and hears the whispers of the deranged behaviors of the young countess, but Anna soon becomes enamored with Elizabeth as she finds herself chambermaid and confidant to the beautiful countess. Over the course of the novel, Anna learns first hand just how sadistic and insane Elizabeth Báthory really is, only now, as the other servants start dropping like flies, is it too late for Anna?

I have mixed feelings about Blood Countess. I enjoyed it, but in many ways was left wanting more. The one thing the countess is most known for is bathing in the blood of her victims. That does happen—it wouldn’t be a book about her if it didn’t—but it wasn’t until very late in the book that we really start to see that level of gruesomeness. I wanted more blood and horror, though, as I said, the horror level is just right for a YA book. I was just a tad underwhelmed in the end. I enjoyed Anna’s journey as a character and I loved the way her story ended, the one thing I really missed from this book was the countess’s motivation. I wanted to get a little deeper into her character to see what made her the way she is, especially in the end when she makes an unexpected sacrifice.

Blood Countess is the first in the Lady Slayer’s Novels. Poison Priestess is scheduled to release in early 2021 and I am excited to see which historical figure this book will be about, or if it is a continuation of Anna and Elizabeth’s story.

I recommend Blood Countess for any historical fiction fans or those with a passion for intriguing figures like Elizabeth Báthory. It has just the right amount of history, mystery and horror for most audiences to sink their teeth into.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...
Around Curiosity's Edge: Hidden Meridians

0.0 (0)
A hidden world waits, a dark society schemes, and a...
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after...
The Promised Prince

5.0 (1)
Perfect for fans of the Selection series by Kiera...
Indivisible

0.0 (0)
This timely, moving debut novel follows a teen's efforts...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi,...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And...
Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...

Latest Member Reviews

Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

" In this second installment of the series, Thomas ward is now 13 and has been the Spook’s apprentice for..."

"I found it vaguely reminiscent of 'My Side of the Mountain', from a distinctly female perspective, and facing a harsher..."

"Reader reviewed by Gaby B.         The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Andrews Edwards is a..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Ananya A beautiful story with tragic ending. It is about a boy who becomes friends with..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by BB HS AB We read Bridge To Terabithia it was about a boy name jessie..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Abby and Justin   Bridge To Terabithia is about a boy named Jesse and a girl named..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Sage This was a great book I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It was extremely well written and..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by athena Jess don't fit in at school and has all ways been bullied by older kids...."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Amy I really enjoyed reading this classic book of Jess, a young boy growing up in the..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Shelby Bridge to Terabithia is a great book but I wouldn't recomend it to little kids because..."

"Reader reviewed by vampreviews This was a pretty good book,  it's set back in 1919, and it's about a girl..."
Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Well, since I had already read the first book in this series, I was already captivated..."
Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice #3)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Compared to the other books in the series, I thought this was a very well-written book,..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Twinkletoes This book captures your imagination and makes you feel like a little kid. It helps you..."
Chasing Redbird

"Reader reviewed by Tasmin This book is about a thirteen year old girl named Zinny who accidentally "rediscovers" a huge..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Dede I read this book when I was younger and then re-read it to my kids as..."

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Hippolyta is wandering through the forest with her sister Antiope as usual, squabbling with her fellow..."
Atalanta and the Arcadian Beast (Young Heroes #3)

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Atalanta and her foster father are hunting in the woods when they first realize they are..."

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Mary's brother Jacques has finally settled down, marrying an Indian woman. Mary's father is so delighted..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Jo I loved this book, and my kids did too. We all thought it was way better..."