Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 707
Immersive mystery about family, secrets, and finding your way
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Eileen, Claire, and Murphy Sullivan used to be close. They had their special traditions, their shared laughs, and their shared sisterhood. But time has passed, and now, they barely speak to each other. Eileen, 18, read something that changed her perception of everything around her and has been turning to alcohol since. Claire, 17, has just been rejected from her Ivy League dream college. And Murphy, 14, feels more alone than ever when her pet turtle dies. When the 3 sisters find out they have a deceased uncle who left them a mysterious home, they go in search of answers to questions they never knew to ask.

Kathryn Ormsbee’s THE SULLIVAN SISTERS is an immersive mystery about family, secrets, and finding your way, especially when any plans you thought were set are disrupted. The sisters have rotating POV chapters, and their voices are distinct and rich with their individual interior lives. I was quickly hooked on each of their journeys, from Murphy’s desperate desire to be seen, Eileen’s reluctant admissions of her own truths, and Claire’s disillusion of her dreams and goals. The mystery around the house and their family past kept the plot moving and building in intensity, while the emotional layers under everything kept the hard punches coming.

What I love most about THE SULLIVAN SISTERS is the range of experiences and growth reflected in the sisters. They are all at such different points in their lives, but all are facing intersections they don’t recognize and feel alone in their struggles. This is an excellent example of how to make lack of communication, and even at some points, distrust of communication altogether, really powerful. All of their secrets are intertwined with self-doubt, fear, uncertainty, and sometimes shame, especially when dealing with years of relationship neglect and passivity.

THE SULLIVAN SISTERS has a little bit for everyone: murder mystery, family conflict, unexpected journeys, and the bonds of sisterhood. I highly recommend this poignant, painfully honest story that will make you believe in the power of growth and love.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Peek-a-Boo Little Reindeer

0.0 (0)
In this adorable peek-a-boo board book with felt flaps, a...
Perfect on Paper

0.0 (0)
In Sophie Gonzales' Perfect on Paper, Leah on the Offbeat...
11 Paper Hearts

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of To All the Boys I've Loved...
shine your icy crown

0.0 (0)
“Make them rue the day they underestimated you.” ...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes the...
Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice

0.0 (0)
Discover the incredible story of a young daughter of immigrants...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this is...
Paris Cat

0.0 (0)
A sassy cat from the back alleys of Paris believes...
The Last Hazelnut

0.0 (0)
When two woodland friends have a misunderstanding over who ate...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw the...
Rescue

0.0 (0)
Six hundred and fifty-seven days ago, Meg Kenyon's father left...

0.0 (0)
“We are most courageous at our weakest; when we believe...
The Night Walk

0.0 (0)
Mama opened our bedroom door. "Wake up, you two," she...
My Very Merry Ugly Christmas Sweater

0.0 (0)
Celebrate the perfect, ugly expression of holiday cheer in this...
You and Me

0.0 (0)
This sweet celebration of love is perfect for sharing with...
Baby's First Farm

0.0 (0)
Babies and toddlers can lift the flaps to look inside...

Latest Member Reviews

Moment of Truth

"Hadley Moore is a dedicated high school swimmer who is hoping to get a college scholarship for the sport, so..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
P.S. I Like You

"Be yourself, even when you don’t fit in! Two teenagers who both felt like something was missing in their lives..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss

"When Lacey scores a leading role in a zombie movie, she wants to give it her all. However, she struggles..."
Love, Life, and the List

"Abby's goal in life is to become a serious artist. Her hope is to get into a special art camp...."
Snow in Love

"SNOW IN LOVE features four short stories that really get you into the Christmas spirit and they've also added some..."
Lucky in Love

"'Lucky in Love' by Kasie West captures a not-too-familiar storyline, but injects it with all-too-understandable themes. When main character Maddie..."
Listen to Your Heart

"'Listen to Your Heart' by Kasie West will draw you in and make you dread the pull of sleep if..."
Listen to Your Heart

"Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen to your Heart,” a story about lake life, friendships, secrets, and..."
Lucky in Love

"Maddie, our main character in Kasie West’s “Lucky in Love”, is logical, hard-working, and a mega planner. She has..."