Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1863
The Paper Girl of Paris
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS by Jordyn Taylor is a new young adult novel that is both a contemporary and historical fiction. The story is told from two perspectives— Alice in present day and Adalyn during WW2, the link between them being Chloe Bonhomme, Alice’s late grandmother and Adalyn’s sister. Having never known much about her grandmother’s childhood, Alice is surprised when Chloe wills her a secret Parisian apartment. Now, on top of trying to understand her mother’s depression and her father’s denial, Alice is determined to figure out why Chloe hid her past. With the help of her new French friend, Paul, Alice searches her grandmother’s old apartment, which no one has been in since the 1940’s, and finds Adalyn’s diary. Paul aids in translating it, and the truth is more than Alice could have ever expected. In fact, it may be what heals not only Alice’s family, but those from Adalyn’s past too.

This story is absolutely heartbreaking and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since I finished reading. The spirit of the book is so beautiful, and it’s made me consider how well I really know my own grandparents. In fact, it’s sparked multiple conversations, and I love when a work of fiction makes me think about life in a deeper and meaningful way. It also resonates strongly right now as it’s about human connections and the bonds between us, which some people may be strengthening or reexamining during this time of quarantine.

All the important questions are tied up by the end of the book, but I still have so many more. I want to know about Chloe Bonhomme. I want to know how she met the American soldier. I want to know about her zazou friends, and if she knew of her sister’s or her parents’ fate. When was she aware the apartment was hers? What made her keep it? How did she feel about Adalyn later in life? I understand that we, the readers, are made to share Alice’s experience, as she, too, probably wishes she could inquire about the same subjects, and in that way, the book is a perfect mirror to life. With that being said, I’d love to read a sequel, or prequel, to learn more about the woman who connected Alice and Adalyn. In the book, as it is, we don’t know too much about her character, since Adalyn kept a secret life from Chloe, and later Chloe kept her secrets from Alice.

With that being said, THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS is an enchanting read set in an enchanting city with enchanting characters, surprising twists, and sweet romances. This book is a must-read for fans of ALEX & ELIZA and JOJO RABBIT.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...
Around Curiosity's Edge: Hidden Meridians

0.0 (0)
A hidden world waits, a dark society schemes, and a...
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after...
The Promised Prince

5.0 (1)
Perfect for fans of the Selection series by Kiera...
Indivisible

0.0 (0)
This timely, moving debut novel follows a teen's efforts...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi,...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And...
Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...

Latest Member Reviews

Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

" In this second installment of the series, Thomas ward is now 13 and has been the Spook’s apprentice for..."

"I found it vaguely reminiscent of 'My Side of the Mountain', from a distinctly female perspective, and facing a harsher..."

"Reader reviewed by Gaby B.         The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Andrews Edwards is a..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Ananya A beautiful story with tragic ending. It is about a boy who becomes friends with..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by BB HS AB We read Bridge To Terabithia it was about a boy name jessie..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Abby and Justin   Bridge To Terabithia is about a boy named Jesse and a girl named..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Sage This was a great book I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It was extremely well written and..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by athena Jess don't fit in at school and has all ways been bullied by older kids...."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Amy I really enjoyed reading this classic book of Jess, a young boy growing up in the..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Shelby Bridge to Terabithia is a great book but I wouldn't recomend it to little kids because..."

"Reader reviewed by vampreviews This was a pretty good book,  it's set back in 1919, and it's about a girl..."
Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Well, since I had already read the first book in this series, I was already captivated..."
Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice #3)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Compared to the other books in the series, I thought this was a very well-written book,..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Twinkletoes This book captures your imagination and makes you feel like a little kid. It helps you..."
Chasing Redbird

"Reader reviewed by Tasmin This book is about a thirteen year old girl named Zinny who accidentally "rediscovers" a huge..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Dede I read this book when I was younger and then re-read it to my kids as..."

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Hippolyta is wandering through the forest with her sister Antiope as usual, squabbling with her fellow..."
Atalanta and the Arcadian Beast (Young Heroes #3)

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Atalanta and her foster father are hunting in the woods when they first realize they are..."

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Mary's brother Jacques has finally settled down, marrying an Indian woman. Mary's father is so delighted..."
Bridge to Terabithia

"Reader reviewed by Jo I loved this book, and my kids did too. We all thought it was way better..."