Review Detail

The Fascinators Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1385
atmospheric and enthralling YA contemporary fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE FASCINATORS is an atmospheric YA contemporary fantasy. Sam is out in a rural Georgia town, where he is frequently aware of the rampant homophobia. Luckily, he has his two BFFs, Delia and James, who are all part of the magic club at their school. In this world, magic is commonplace, though not everyone approves of it, and there are elite magical colleges and magic competitions. Their high school does not have any magic classes, but they have their club called The Fascinators, where they hang out and practice several days a week.

Sam is in love with James, who has been pulling away from Delia and Sam ever since something happened over the summer. When he finally reveals part of what has been keeping him away from the other two, it turns out that he has gotten himself in trouble with the wrong sort of people. Sam and Delia must help to make it right. In the process, they will also analyze their friendship and magic as they forge a path forward- along with newcomers to their tight-knit group, particularly Denver who just moved from Tennessee and who is flirting with Sam, maybe.

What I loved: This book is completely enthralling and atmospheric, managing to be really about character development rather than just the action/suspense elements. The characters are felt very real and were developed throughout the story. I also really appreciated the themes about religion (which conflicts with magic) and homophobia, though this was a lighter theme but definitely something always present.

What left me wanting more: There are a lot of answers that we don't get by the end of the book, so I am hoping there will be a sequel. I also felt like we were missing a chapter at the end that resolves the romantic connections (being vague to avoid spoilers), although I was happy with where it all ended in the last chapter.

Final verdict: Atmospheric and engaging, THE FASCINATORS is a YA contemporary fantasy that is perfect for fans of THE LOST COAST and/or THE RAVEN BOYS.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

If Only...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author-illustrator Mies van Hout employs vivid creatures in a...
Like a Giant

0.0 (0)
A beautiful story about imagination and taking your time to...
A Rosa Le Encantan Los Carros/Rosa Loves Cars

0.0 (0)
Averiguemos con quâe juguetes juegan Rosa y sus amigos hoy!...
The Duck Who Didn't Like Water

0.0 (0)
See a duck take to the water of friendship in...
Goodnight, Little Llama

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Llama, who is about to make a very...
The Boy and the Sea

0.0 (0)
A picture book meditation on curiosity, wonder, and finding one’s...
In Your Cozy Bed

0.0 (0)
A soothing bedtime board book from the creators of In...
Chicks Rock!

0.0 (0)
Rocker Chick overcomes stage fright to find her voice in...
The Beach (Bluey)

0.0 (0)
Read along and join Bluey's latest adventure! ...
All About Bluey

0.0 (0)
Meet Bluey! This lovable and imaginative Blue Heeler puppy is...
Instructions for Dancing

0.0 (0)
THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The critically...
Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...

Latest Member Reviews

Choices

"It's no secret that I adore Michelle's books, so it was fun reading one of her earlier books. ..."
Choices

"The story: Michaela Matthews’ life has been all planned out: graduate law school, marry her longtime boyfriend Ethan, become..."
Dreams

"In 'Dreams' by Michelle Lynn, the past is a constant struggle while hope seems almost an irreparable goal. Yet, in..."
Promises (New Beginnings #2)

"In 'Promises,' by Michelle Lynn, main character Maggie struggles to find her footing after a troubled childhood and difficult marriage...."
Dreams

"Dreams by Michelle Lynn The Story: Taylor lost herself when the boy she loved died, and years later she..."
Promises (New Beginnings #2)

"What I Loved: PROMISES by Michelle Lynn is a sweet and quick read. Let me first point out that..."
Choices

"What I Loved: CHOICES by Michelle Lynn is a sweet and quick read. Let me first point out that..."