Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 414
OtherLife
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

OTHERLIFE is the third book in the Last Reality Series by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. This YA Sci-Fi novel picks right back up with Simon, Kat, Busara, and Elvis. They have just escaped capture by the Company, but their brains were hacked, so the Company has access to some of their memories. Simon’s hoping they don’t have enough to guess where they’re hiding, but when Wayne and his cronies descend on the very wealthy Abigail Prince’s fortress, Simon and his crew are on the run again. This time though, Busara’s mom, Nasha, helps to get them out, revealing herself to be a secret agent. It’s unclear who Nasha works for, but Simon has to trust her as she’s their last ally, especially now that he’s being framed for murder. Willing to go to dangerous lengths to take Wayne down once and for all, Simon and his crew put their lives on the line. Someone is going to die, and this time, it could be them.

Similar to OTHERWORLD and OTHEREARTH, OTHERLIFE sets part of the novel in the real world and the other part in the videogame world. Like the real world, OtherWorld is having its own problems. The different realms are changing quickly, and each time Simon goes to visit, the landscape is unrecognizable. Because of this, the authors do a lot of impressive world building. Every place is specific in how it was and how it evolves. In fact, each realm could have its own novella, which means there’s a lot of information the authors have to weave into their action. Despite these complex settings, the book is easy to visualize, and in many ways, has a lot of cinematic qualities.

What makes this series work for me is how much agency the characters have. Each one brings a unique talent or skill to the table, the villains included. No one is dispensable as every character has a purpose, adding to the plot in some way. Elvis is the most interesting character for me because of his tech skills and childish humor. In this book, I’m intrigued by his plan for dodging facial recognition technology.

Beyond that, what I love about this series is the message. The authors are warning us about the ethical dangers of technology invention and the tech companies pushing the limits. Without a doubt, there are already inventions that are on the line or have crossed it, and the authors are asking us to consider what kind of world we want to live in, which is both a timely and timeless question.

With that being said, gamers and fans of READY PLAYER ONE will enjoy this series. OTHERLIFE is a fast-paced, entertaining, cautionary novel that’s full of high stakes, broken allegiances, and love.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...
White Smoke

0.0 (0)
The Haunting of Hill House meets Get Out in this...

Latest Member Reviews

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

"HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: THE MUSICAL: THE SERIES: THE ROAD TRIP is a fun book that compliments the show by diving..."
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

"I'LL MEET YOU IN YOUR DREAMS is a gorgeously illustrated picture book about parental love that spans space and time...."
No Adults Allowed (Super Sidekicks #1)

"This is a cute read! No Adults Allowed is the first book in a new series from author Gavin Aung..."
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

"THE LAST FALLEN STAR is a thrilling epic fantasy. Riley Oh is a saram, a person without magic, adopted by..."
I Don't Want to Go to School

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL features Dinosaur and Mouse, who are both scared of their first day of..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a delightful board book about baseball. The book begins with heading to the park to play baseball..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
Sam Can't Sleep

"SAM CAN'T SLEEP is a fun picture book read that introduces the concept of nocturnal animals. It's nighttime, and all..."
Welcome to California

"WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA is a fun picture book of facts about the state. It covers topics from the state capitol..."
Zoom: Dinosaur Adventure

"ZOOM: DINOSAUR ADVENTURE takes the reader on a journey to the time of the dinosaurs. Jamie and Jasmine are going..."
Let's Pretend Fire Station

"LET'S PRETEND FIRE STATION is a delightful peek-through board book about firefighters. The book features pictures of children, firetrucks, and..."
Rosa Loves Dinosaurs / A Rosa Le Encantan Los Dinosaurios

"ROSA LOVES DINOSAURS/ A ROSA LE ENCANTAN LOS DINOSAURIOS is a fun bilingual board book about a love of dinosaurs...."
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

"Eva Evergreen is a young witch about to embark on her Novice Quest. As the daughter of one of the..."
Homer on the Case

"HOMER ON THE CASE is a delightful middle grade mystery, featuring unlikely detectives. Homer, a homing pigeon, and Lulu, a..."
The Thingity-Jig

"THE THINGITY-JIG is a fun picture book read about invention and friendship. Although all his friends are asleep, Bear feels..."
Bridge of Souls (City of Ghosts #3)

"What worked: This is a satisfying conclusion to City of Ghosts series. Engaging characters, fast-paced plot, and spooky magic woven..."
This is Your World

"THIS IS YOUR WORLD is a lovely picture book that introduces the world and the importance of taking care of..."
Mermaid Life: The Joy of Making Waves

"MERMAID LIFE is a fun collection of artwork themed around mermaids. With a few fun facts, silly moments, and inspirational..."