Review Detail

lush and captivating YA historical
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE COURT OF MIRACLES is an enagaging and lush YA historical that imagines an alternate France where the revolution has failed and a Court of Miracles was born. The Court of Miracles contains groups of criminals with a code. This includes a Guild of Thieves, a Guild of Beggars, a Guild of Assassins, etc. Nina was very young when her sister pushed her to leave home, and she joined the Guild of Thieves, becoming the Black Cat.

Since then, she has gained some notoriety for her thievery. However, what truly drives her is getting her older sister back/free. Her sister was sold to the Tiger, the man who took over the Guild of the Sisters and made it into Flesh. He is ruthless and many of the Guild leaders are afraid of him. Nina's plot to get her sister back goes awry due to her own emotions, and she ends up running with a young girl, Ettie. In the process of figuring out how to keep Ettie away from the Tiger and how to get her sister out, Nina will encounter a new revolution, dangerous royalty, and much cruelty.

This is not a light story. As warnings, there is domestic abuse, forced prostitution, maimed children (for begging), starving, horrific deaths, and drug abuse.

What I loved: Nina completely captivated me from the start. She has had a really difficult life and maintains her humanity in a world where that is an impossible challenge. The plot is paced perfectly, gripping from the start and making it unputdownable. I also really loved the building of the criminal empires with rules and non-rules and questionable morality. We explore some of the Guilds a bit, and it was entirely fascinating.

I also really liked how Nina does not have a romance here. Her love for her sisters is paramount. There are a few potential romantic interests who seem to be interested in her, but Nina is focused on her goals and does not seem to get caught up in these (no matter how much Ettie wishes her to have romances). It made the story and Nina's drive that much stronger.

What left me wanting more: A small thing, but there were time jumps that I needed a bit more information to fully orient myself to. Each section leaps ahead by an amount of time, which varies. This may be corrected in the final version of the novel.

Final verdict: Lush, captivating, and filled with compelling characters, THE COURT OF MIRACLES is a beautifully crafted YA historical series. Highly recommend for fans of THE GILDED WOLVES, SIX OF CROWS, and/or SOMETHING DARK AND HOLY.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The City Beautiful

0.0 (0)
Death lurks around every corner in this unforgettable Jewish historical...
The Shape of Thunder

0.0 (0)
Cora hasn’t spoken to her best friend, Quinn, in a...
Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town

0.0 (0)
A lyrical and heartfelt collection by an award-winning writer that...
The Republic of Birds

0.0 (0)
A young witch must save her sister from evil birds...
Fearless

0.0 (0)
Better Nate than Ever meets Love Sugar Magic in this...

0.0 (0)
"It was a test, you fool,” she sneered, “to see...
Ducks on the Road: A Counting Adventure

0.0 (0)
From Caldecott Honor artist Anita Lobel comes a touching and...
Sloth and Smell the Roses

0.0 (0)
A playful board book about the pillars of mindfulness from...
Curious About Insects

0.0 (0)
Perfect for the littlest bug buffs, this board book offers...
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

0.0 (0)
After solving the case of Truly Devious, Stevie Bell...
Simone Breaks All the Rules

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of You Should See Me in...
Chess Not Checkers

0.0 (0)
Chess not Checkers is a teen novel with adult adventures...

0.0 (0)
After surviving the Crossing, Zahru has sworn off adventures. While...
Curse of the Specter Queen

0.0 (0)
MAY THE HAZEL BRING YOU WISDOM AND THE ASPEN...
Revolution in Our Time: The Black Panther Party’s Promise to the People

0.0 (0)
With passion and precision, Kekla Magoon relays an essential account...
Kneel

0.0 (0)
This fearless debut novel explores racism, injustice, and self-expression through...

Latest Member Reviews

For the Wolf (The Wilderwood, #1)

"FOR THE WOLF is a captivating fantasy read that sweeps the reader away to the Wilderwood. Redarys (Red) is the..."
Curse of the Specter Queen

"Curse of the Specter Queen by Jenny Elder Moke is Indiana Jones meets The Mummy (1999) and encompasses everything I..."
The Nature of Witches

"THE NATURE OF WITCHES is a riveting YA fantasy read. Taking place in the Eastern school for witches in the..."
The Immortal Game

"THE IMMORTAL GAME is an adventure-based YA fantasy stemming from Greek mythology. Mount Olympus is run by the gods and..."
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin #1)

"This was... one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was one of my absolute favorite..."
The Keeper of Night

"HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR.IFADE CONTACT ON WHATS_APP NUMBER +1(551)333-5249. OR HIS EMAIL ..."
Go the Distance

"Go the Distance by Jen Calonita is the latest installment in Disney’s Twisted Tale series. This time the story focuses..."
Unchosen

"UNCHOSEN by Katharyn Blair is a YA Dystopian novel set in the future after the Crimson, a virus-like curse, turns..."
In Deeper Waters

"IN DEEPER WATERS is an intriguing and fast-paced YA fantasy. Tal is the fourth of five royal children in a..."
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

"THESE FEATHERED FLAMES is an enchanting YA fantasy about sisterhood, power, and destiny. When twins are born in the royal..."
The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)

"THE PRISON HEALER is a stunning and captivating YA fantasy read. This book takes place in a prison, Zalindov, which..."
Ember of Night

"EMBER OF NIGHT is an intense and steamy YA fantasy read. The book follows Harley, an almost 18-year-old who has..."
Havoc (Haven, #2)

"HAVOC is an intriguing continuation of a YA paranormal romance. In this world, witches and werewolves live side by side..."
A Curse of Ash & Embers (The Blackbone Witches, #1)

"A CURSE OF ASH AND EMBERS is an intriguing, character-driven YA fantasy read. Elodie has received a letter of employment..."
Flamefall (The Aurelian Cycle, #2)

"FLAMEFALL is the absolutely stunning and enthralling sequel to FIREBORNE, and the second in the Aurelian Cycle trilogy. The book..."
Lore

"LORE is a sweeping and enthralling stand-alone YA fantasy based on Greek mythology. Lore is a descendent of the bloodlines..."
Namesake (Fable, #2)

"Namesake by Adrienne Young picks up right where Fable left off. If you haven’t read the first book in the..."
Namesake (Fable, #2)

"NAMESAKE is a stunning conclusion to an enthralling YA fantasy duology. The book begins right after the first left off,..."
The Descent of the Drowned

"THE DESCENT OF THE DROWNED is a riveting and dark YA fantasy. The book follows Roma, a sacred prostitute, unhappy..."
Fable (Fable, #1)

"I adore this book! Fable by Adrienne Young is the first in a duology about a young woman who is..."