Review Detail

Elysium Girls Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2412
unique, engaging, and atmospheric YA fantasy/dystopian
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from the rest of the world. Unaware of anything going on outside of their area, the people are told that they are in a 10-year game between Life and Death, sister goddesses. At the end of 10 years, they will be judged and left either dead or alive.

The people of Elysium sealed their walls and began to listen to Mother Morevna, a powerful witch who had the confidence to take over and lead the people. In that time, they have been collecting food and supplies for the sacrifice to be offered at the end of 10 years. While intentions started good in Elysium, with people ignoring previous racist and sexist divides, things have been devolving, and risk of desert monsters and the dust sickness has people constantly afraid for their lives.

Sal has visions where she sees rain, and when she shared them as a young girl, people scorned her, as rain never comes to the dust bowl. She was forever known as the girl who cried rain and shunned for the most part. She was bullied by the other children. However, she is soon to learn that she is a witch, and Morevna is naming her as successor.

Asa is a daemon who has always been enamored with humans. When Mother tells Life to choose him as her wildcard, she sends him to Earth with a stone that he is supposed to return to its owner as he appears human. When Asa and Sal collide, they wind up with a huge mistake that destroys the sacrifice and are exiled from the city. There, they join with a group of witches and learn more about Sal's powers and more truths about Elysium. The race to the end of the game is on, and everyone will have to decide what side of the line they will be on when the dust settles.

What I loved: The magic and dystopian collision in a Western landscape is really fascinating, and the plot is really intriguing. There are also some great twists at the end that I did not see coming, and I really enjoy when books manage to surprise me. I loved the magic, and Asa brings an interesting element of what it means to be human to the book. There are some interesting discussions about equality, fighting for it and the value of it that are interspersed throughout. The setting and the characters really come to life through the writing, and it was all well-described and fascinating.

What left me wanting more: There are some anachronisms that I assume will be changed from the ARC. As another minor thing, there seems to be a hint of a romantic relationship between Sal and Lucy which I would love to have seen developed further. However, they do have bigger problems to worry about, and so this is a smaller thing.

I would add warnings for physical abuse/bullying and sexual abuse (mentioned, not described) as well as character illness/death and cannibalism (mentioned).

Final verdict: Unique, engaging, and atmospheric, ELYSIUM GIRLS is a fantasy/dystopian that will appeal to many audiences. I've seen this described as MAD MAX meets CARAVAL, but I would say that this is so much more than just that. This is witches and cowboys and daemons (oh my!) with a fascinating and original plot!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

So. Many. Feelings Stickers: 2,700 Stickers for Every Mood

0.0 (0)
2,700 stickers for every mood! ...
Hi-Five Farm!

0.0 (0)
Ready, set, off we go! ...

0.0 (0)
Jolina can't take Claudine's bullying any longer! The taunts and...
Leaving England

0.0 (0)
Sometime around now an unnamed virus has laid London and...

0.0 (0)
A female-run society. An ambitious girl driven to become its’...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the Dark...

0.0 (0)
In the realm of Ryuu within the snow...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Jackie planned for every situation on her solo road-trip...

0.0 (0)
John Green meets Laurie Halse Anderson in this award-winning, "haunting,"...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling new...
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on a...

Latest Member Reviews

The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva leaves behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Spectacle

"WHAT I LOVED: Nathalie Baudin is an extraordinary girl even before she discovers her psychometric abilities. She’s just sixteen,..."
Somewhere Only We Know

"Everything I know about K-pop comes from thirsty Twitter fancams, what has made it into the American mainstream, and an..."
A Song Below Water

"WHAT I LOVED: Tavia and Effie’s world is ours with just a little myth-made-real on top. The Hart family..."
Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."
Off the Record

"Content warnings: rape, sexual harassment, sexual abuse Once upon a time, I had an ambition to become a journalist...."
The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, 2)

"What I Loved: THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY, a sequel to THE INHERITANCE GAMES, is a book full of intrigue and mystery..."
The Cost of Knowing

"THE COST OF KNOWING is a heartbreaking and beautiful read about family, fate, and racism. After losing his parents and..."
Curses

"* I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ for an honest review* “When..."
Between Perfect and Real

"BETWEEN PERFECT AND REAL is a heartfelt read about finding yourself and coming out. Dean knows that he is a..."
You Were Made for Me

"YOU WERE MADE FOR ME is a comedic YA contemporary/magical read about two friends, Katie and Libby, who somewhat accidentally..."