Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 678
great YA contemporary about chasing your dreams
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

SALTY, BITTER, SWEET is a book about family, forgiveness, grief, and following your passion. Isabella dreams of being a world-class chef, and she is closer than ever to achieving that dream now that she has been enrolled in an elite competition/class. For three weeks, she will work alongside 14 other international candidates to compete for a spot in the elite, Michelin-star-rated restaurant. This opportunity could be the one that launches her career.

Isabella is part-French, part-Cuban, and part-European American. She is living with her father and his new pregnant wife in France. She is determined to win over her new stepmother with her cooking. Her world is thrown for a loop when a very attractive teen, Diego, arrives to stay with him. He is Margo's former stepson.

In the class, Isabella quickly finds enemies and friends, in the only two other girls in the competition. However, it is not an easy path to the finish line, and Isabella will find her morals, life views, and heart tested along the way.

What I loved: I loved Isabella- she is a character that grips the heart from the get-go. This setting and premise are really unique and I really enjoyed it. Isabella's cooking is tied in to her grandmother, Lala, who has recently died. There's a lot of grieving throughout the story that adds a beautiful touch to the story. I also felt like the overall message of happiness and finding potential other routes to doing what you love is really valuable. There's not always a clear right and wrong way to do things, and this book really emphasizes the personal decisions and finding your own way.

What left me wanting more: I felt like there were some plot points that were not fully addressed in the story (probably just like in real life). For instance, there's an unexplained/unaddressed animosity from Margo (the stepmother) for Isabella, even though Isabella is frequently trying to make her happy (which just breaks my heart). There is a heartfelt conversation about her parents' divorce with her father (who had an affair), but I felt like there needed to be a bit more to it (it seemed a little bland/surface-level).

Final verdict: Overall, this is a charming YA contemporary about finding your way in an ever-changing world. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a book about chasing your dreams with a touch of familial and romantic love.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bernard Makes a Splash

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story from textile designer and illustrator Lisa Stickley...
Wild Girl: How to Have Incredible Outdoor Adventures

0.0 (0)
Calling wild girls everywhere! Helen Skelton – adventurer, world-record breaker...
Stanley's Paint Box

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
The Unleashed

0.0 (0)
In the terrifying sequel to The Haunted, Hendricks discovers that...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

0.0 (0)
Create pictures of 10 awesome dinosaurs... with stickers! ...
Tad
Tad

0.0 (0)
From Benji Davies, the award-winning creator of The Storm Whale...
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
The perfect picture book to celebrate every milestone from the...
A World of Opposites

0.0 (0)
From ALONE and TOGETHER to ABOVE and BELOW, Gray Malin’s...
The Voting Booth

0.0 (0)
From Stonewall Award-winning author Brandy Colbert comes an all-in-one-day love...
Now & When

0.0 (0)
For fans of Jenny Han and Christine Riccio comes a...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because...
Now That I've Found You

0.0 (0)
Now That I've Found You is a YA novel about...
Entwined

0.0 (0)
Sometimes love gets a bit twisted. ...
A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of...
Scarlet Odyssey

0.0 (0)
Magic is women’s work; war is men’s. But in...

Latest Member Reviews

Fangs & Fins

"Ivy and Ember are thrown together when their parents marry. One a popular girl, the other a bookworm, they start..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
Tides

" Noah and Lo head to their grandmother's house on an island for the summer. Noah is excited to start..."
Cry of the Sea

"This review was from Evie Seo of Bookish reviews: Cry Of The Sea turned out to be such a..."
The Vast and Brutal Sea (The Vicious Deep #3)

"In this action-packed conclusion, Cordova brings her fantastic trilogy to its full potential. True to the other books in the..."
Captivate (Submerged Sun #1)

"Captivate has potential to end up being something pretty good. I admit, I picked it up based on the cover..."
Promise Bound (Lies Beneath #3)

"In the conclusion to the fantasy-romance series, LIES BENEATH, Anne Greenwood Brown makes the magic of the waters of Lake..."
Waterfell (The Aquarathi #1)

"This is kind of hard to review because I both liked and did not like Waterfell. It has a lot..."

"I tried SO hard to finish this book. I tried for nearly an entire month, in fact. But try as..."

"Lost mermaid princess. No, lost alien mermaid princess - how could that not attract me to the book? Technically, she's..."
Elegy (Watersong #4)

"Oh my, the Watersong series has ended and as much as it hurts me to say goodbye to Gemma, Harper,..."
The Twice Lost (The Lost Voices Trilogy #3)

"The story of a brave and sweet mermaid, Luce, who wants to change the ways of her fellow mermaids from..."
Waking Storms (The Lost Voices Trilogy #2)

" Finally, a sequel that didn't disappoint! I've been having some serious issues with sequels lately, so I'm..."