Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1748
Such a cute story!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The story:
After living in foster care since the death of her mother, Edie finally has a home-- though not one she's excited about. Taken in by her mother's estranged sister and thrown into a life of wealth where private schools were the expectation and summer jobs were considered beneath them, Edie has little to hold on to. Except the boy next door, the one she hasn't seen since she was a kid. Her first kiss.
And also the boy with a girlfriend. Navigated the minefield of loving someone who was unavailable, Edie finds herself taking solace in the arms of the resident bad boy, but is it enough when her heart belongs to someone else?

What I loved:
There's a feeling in this book. I'll call it nostalgia. It brings back memories from being a teenager unsure of the future where every decision, every relationship feels enormous. It's a beautifully written tale of first love with struggles the reader experiences right alongside the characters. The side characters grow on you until you fall in love with their quirks and issues. And through it all, you never lose faith that Edie will be okay no matter what happens.

What was just okay:
The main characters each had their own issues that made it hard to fall in love with them. Edie's desperation and illogical choices. Sebastian's indecision, stringing two women along. And Henry's serial cheating. It almost seems like we're supposed to root for them, but against Sebastian's girlfriend - who is shown to be mean, but is really the wronged character. Through all this, the book is still a one-sitting read which shows the true talent of the author.

Finally Verdict: A can't-put-it-down type of read where everything is a beautiful train wreck, but it's our train wreck as we root for the flawed characters and are drawn in by the wonderful prose. It's not a book that one will forget about.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bernard Makes a Splash

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story from textile designer and illustrator Lisa Stickley...
Wild Girl: How to Have Incredible Outdoor Adventures

0.0 (0)
Calling wild girls everywhere! Helen Skelton – adventurer, world-record breaker...
Stanley's Paint Box

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
The Unleashed

0.0 (0)
In the terrifying sequel to The Haunted, Hendricks discovers that...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

0.0 (0)
Create pictures of 10 awesome dinosaurs... with stickers! ...
Tad
Tad

0.0 (0)
From Benji Davies, the award-winning creator of The Storm Whale...
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
The perfect picture book to celebrate every milestone from the...
A World of Opposites

0.0 (0)
From ALONE and TOGETHER to ABOVE and BELOW, Gray Malin’s...
The Voting Booth

0.0 (0)
From Stonewall Award-winning author Brandy Colbert comes an all-in-one-day love...
Now & When

0.0 (0)
For fans of Jenny Han and Christine Riccio comes a...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because...
Now That I've Found You

0.0 (0)
Now That I've Found You is a YA novel about...
Entwined

0.0 (0)
Sometimes love gets a bit twisted. ...
A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of...
Scarlet Odyssey

0.0 (0)
Magic is women’s work; war is men’s. But in...

Latest Member Reviews

Light of Day

"A companion novel to Van Diepen's ON THE EDGE, this contemporary romance and mystery novel is told from the point..."
On the Edge

"It all started when Maddie Diaz took a shortcut through the park, something that should have had her home safe..."
On the Edge

" A well-written urban romance with strong world-building and unique characters, ON THE EDGE is a refreshing addition to the..."
Caged Warrior

"CAGED WARRIOR takes the reader to places they had no idea they could even go between the pages of a..."
Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl

"What I Loved: The strengths of this book are the realistic setting and the nuanced relationships between family members...."
Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)

"I'm a sucker for mystery solving, sleuthing teenagers. No matter how unrealistic the circumstances are, I love to read about..."
Darius & Twig

"It is so easy for us to get stuck inside our personal little bubbles. I rarely ever escape outside of..."
Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool #1)

"For this review, I'm going to turn up a bit of my gushing girlishness for a while. Deadly Cool..."