Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 222
The Opposite of Always
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Opposite of Always is a heartfelt and stunning debut; that is worthy of all praise.

I am in love with this book; its story, and the way it made me feel.

Jack is a boy in love with a girl, that keeps dying—over and over again.

Most importantly, he’s a black boy in love with a black girl—and the importance of that is immeasurable.

Every death is an opportunity to fall in love with Kate again. It's a chance to right wrongs, fix relationships—and to do things differently. But what happens when you start flubbing with the future, by changing up the past?

Jack is a treasure trove of humor and black boy joy. His character stumbles along in love and fruitless determination; to keep the girl that keeps slipping through his fingers time and time again.

Kate is a girl in love with a boy--whose time gets shortened unexpectedly.

Their love is serendipitous and being able to experience it is a treat I won’t take lightly.
Between the romance and the friendships, this reader’s heart is full to the brim.

This book is everything I’ve been hoping to find in black YA; a positive story—that allows for black joy, growth, and love to be the star. It is paramount to the catalog of black YA as a whole. It’s imperative that teens get to see more happiness, joy, and positivity with a black face at the helm.

Aside from the novel's importance, is the writing: that is eloquent and easy-to-follow. It pulls you in and does not let go; until the book is complete.

The characters were expertly-crafted, and have found a place in my heart. I felt every word--every rise and fall. I won't forget this story. I want to hand it to every black child that passes me by so they can see, you get a love story, too--and it can be beautiful.

It's beautiful. I am a love-sick puddle of goo. The way the book deals with sci-fi (the time-traveling) while maintaining a strong contemporary voice is genius. It has earned its place as my second favorite novel of the year.

I highly recommend it.

PS: Cheers to the author for including sickle cell disease in his novel. Most people don't talk about it, or even know what it entails. It is a disease that is prevalent in the black community--and cheers to him for how he dealt with and handled it. Reynolds, you're all right by me.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account