Review Detail

fantastically deep characterizations
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

DAUGHTER OF CHAOS is another delightful spin-off book from the Netflix version of Sabrina. This one takes place between Parts 1 and 2 of the show. The primary plot is about a Dwy Ferch Geg, or bad luck spirit, that was plaguing the mortals and then Sabrina. However, the best part of the book is the depth of the characters who would have a side role in the show.

Brennan has really taken these characters to a new level, giving them more depth and background. As such, Prudence really becomes more complete in the books. We learn more about her goals/drives in a way that really makes her shine. I became quite attached.

My favorite scenes are those with Nick Scratch and Harvey, where Nick is trying to get Harvey to teach him about how to woo mortals (and no, Naked Astral Projecting won't work). I giggled and delighted in these adorable and funny scenes that really round out Nick and Harvey's characters in a way that the show just can't. There are also some really deep thoughts/messages about love (romantic and familial) that come off beautifully in this book, giving the reader some heart-touching (and heart-wrenching) moments. It all adds up into a worthwhile read.

Whether you have seen the show or not, this book is a delightful story with deep characterizations, many points-of-view that blend perfectly into a story, and both funny and serious scenes. Highly recommend picking this book up if you like the show and/or if you just like three-dimensional characters with a fantasy/magical plot.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."
Brawler

"Eddie McGuire is a talented high school wrestler with a horribly short fuse. This is no doubt a result of..."
Secrets of a Fangirl

"Sarah Anne is the biggest fan of the MK Nightshade series, but it's taboo in the popular world of her..."
Secrets of a Fangirl

"SECRETS OF A FANGIRL is a fun contemporary middle grade about embracing yourself for who you are and what you..."
The Moon Within

"What worked: Latinx ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET. I LOVE how the author shows a strong preteen heroine..."
Cicada

"CICADA tells the story of working in a corporate job. Cicada is a good employee who works hard and doesn’t..."
Gamer Army

"In a futuristic society where almost everything has gone online, Rogan spends a lot of his time playing the game..."
The Homework Strike

"'The Homework Strike' by Greg Pincus is a relevant and worthwhile story about the power of standing up and fighting..."
Give Me Some Truth

"Carson Mastick and Magpie "Maggi" Bokoni are two Native American high school students living on a reservation outside of Niagara..."
A Werewolf Named Oliver James

"Every day after band practice, Oliver James must be home by six o'clock sharp for dinner. However, tonight is different..."
The Parker Inheritance

"Candice's grandmother was a city official in the small town of Lambert before she fell into disrepute. She thought there..."
Rabbit Moon

"A very cute bedtime story. Rabbit lives on the moon. Each night, children make wishes and they travel to..."
Silent Days, Silent Dreams

"Artist James Castle was born with many problems right before the turn of the last century. Raised on a farm,..."
The Wolf Hour

"THE WOLF HOUR by Sara Lewis Holmes is both a fairytale retelling and something new entirely. The book focuses on..."
Love, Santa

"LOVE, SANTA was so beautifully written and is the perfect way to tell your little one the truth about Santa...."
Shadowhouse Fall The Shadowshaper Cypher series (Book 2)

"I'm a huge fan of diverse novels, especially ones that are set in the paranormal world. I was beyond excited..."
Honestly Ben

"Ben Carver is a perfectly normal high-achieving boy. He is a scholarship student at a fancy private school. He has..."
The Singing Bones

"This wonderfully creepy anthology of the Grimm Brother’s fairy tales, THE SINGING BONES is a perfect read-aloud addition to bedtime..."
Princess! Fairy! Ballerina!

"Fairy! Princess! Ballerina! is the ultimate read for all children! From the beginning, I felt a bit unsure about where..."
Almost Autumn

"'Almost Autumn' by Marianne Kaurin, and translated by Rosie Hedger, is a retelling of the Holocaust and its impact in..."