Review Detail

fantastically deep characterizations
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

DAUGHTER OF CHAOS is another delightful spin-off book from the Netflix version of Sabrina. This one takes place between Parts 1 and 2 of the show. The primary plot is about a Dwy Ferch Geg, or bad luck spirit, that was plaguing the mortals and then Sabrina. However, the best part of the book is the depth of the characters who would have a side role in the show.

Brennan has really taken these characters to a new level, giving them more depth and background. As such, Prudence really becomes more complete in the books. We learn more about her goals/drives in a way that really makes her shine. I became quite attached.

My favorite scenes are those with Nick Scratch and Harvey, where Nick is trying to get Harvey to teach him about how to woo mortals (and no, Naked Astral Projecting won't work). I giggled and delighted in these adorable and funny scenes that really round out Nick and Harvey's characters in a way that the show just can't. There are also some really deep thoughts/messages about love (romantic and familial) that come off beautifully in this book, giving the reader some heart-touching (and heart-wrenching) moments. It all adds up into a worthwhile read.

Whether you have seen the show or not, this book is a delightful story with deep characterizations, many points-of-view that blend perfectly into a story, and both funny and serious scenes. Highly recommend picking this book up if you like the show and/or if you just like three-dimensional characters with a fantasy/magical plot.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

10 Truths and a Dare

"10 TRUTHS AND A DARE is a book about family and owning up to your mistakes. Olivia is about to..."
Made in Korea

"MADE IN KOREA is a sweet romantic-comedy about competition, family, and reaching for your dreams. Valerie runs a very successful..."
Perfectly Parvin

"PERFECTLY PARVIN is a laugh-out-loud, charming YA contemporary fiction read. Parvin is about to begin her freshman year of high..."
The Love Song of Ivy K. Harlowe

"THE LOVE SONG OF IVY K. HARLOWE is a new adult read about love, pining, and friendship. Andie is 19..."
The People We Choose

"******PLEASE READ***** URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR..."
The People We Choose

"THE PEOPLE WE CHOOSE is an intriguing YA contemporary about how we define family. Calliope is nearly 18 years old,..."
Take Me Home Tonight

"TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT is an unexpected YA contemporary read, told from three perspectives. Kat, Stevie, and Teri are all..."
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

"GUTTER GIRL is a unique YA contemporary romance that follows two main characters, Jace and McKenna. McKenna is an outcast..."
Hurricane Summer

"HURRICANE SUMMER is a sweeping coming-of-age story that captures the difficult and at times dangerous transition to womanhood. Tilla is..."
All Kinds of Other

"ALL KINDS OF OTHER is an intriguing YA contemporary that follows two boys as they start at a new school...."
This Is My America

"WHAT I LOVED: Tracy's family is an outsider in multiple ways in their Texas town: they're one of the..."
Counting Down with You

"COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU is a heart-wrenching and visceral YA contemporary read. Karina (Myra is her familial name) is a..."
The Other Side of Perfect

"THE OTHER SIDE OF PERFECT is an engrossing YA contemporary about loss, grief, moving on, friendship, and sisterhood. Alina has..."
Indivisible

"INDIVISIBLE is a heartfelt and riveting YA contemporary about family, feeling different, and immigration in the US. Mateo is a..."
The Sky Above Us

"THE SKY ABOVE US is a YA drama about grief, loss, and the search for something better. The book follows..."
Coming Up for Air

"COMING UP FOR AIR is an intense and heart-wrenching YA contemporary with some heavy themes. The book is told between..."
Zoe Rosenthal is Not Lawful Good

"ZOE ROSENTHAL IS NOT LAWFUL GOOD is a fun YA contemporary about embracing what you love and finding your people...."
Just Our Luck

"JUST OUR LUCK is a charming YA contemporary about loss, anxiety, and friendship. Leo is a bit of a loner,..."
American Betiya

"AMERICAN BETIYA is a breathtaking contemporary read about identity, family, and racism. Rani is an Indian American with dreams of..."
In the Penalty Box

" The Story: Willow is a figure skater who has been sidelined from her team by an injury...."