Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 446
captivating and thrilling YA fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

SCAVENGE THE STARS is an engaging YA fantasy that gripped me from the start. Amaya, or Silverfish, is a girl who was sold onto a debt collector's ship, where she must work to pay off her family's debt. Amaya has put her memories into the back of her mind, while she toils under the cruel hand of Captain Zharo, who has named each child after a bug and treats them as such. If they survive to pay off their debt, a difficult feat, they may return to their families at that time. Silverfish is close to the end.

As she reaches the end, her humanity begins to return, and so she rescues a man who was drowning that the captain had told them to let die. This sets off a series of events that leads to Amaya seeking revenge on the people who destroyed her family and her own life. As Amaya infiltrates the city she once called home, she learns of far bigger and more dangerous games which are being played with people's lives.

The book is written from her and Cayo's point-of-view. Cayo is a wealthy son of a merchant, Mercado, and Amaya's target. Cayo has recovered from a gambling addiction and is worried over his sister, who is dying from Ash fever. He would do anything to protect her, including squandering his family name and marrying someone he detests. He finds himself intrigued by the mysterious new countess.

This is a book of trust and revenge, with many lessons about each within. The plot is woven so beautifully that I could not find any flaws. The writing is captivating and sweeps the reader away into this engaging other world of piracy, sword fights, and danger. I adored Amaya, and I love her passion and confidence. She is a fantastic character, full of love for the other children who surround her. I cannot wait for the sequel to this captivating read.

Highly recommend for people who love YA fantasy and high seas adventure. This is a new series that does not disappoint.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account