Review Detail

Freaky in Fresno Featured
Young Adult Fiction 668
fun new take on FREAKY FRIDAY
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out with her cousin and BFF, Lana, a few years earlier. Without much explanation, Lana seemed to no longer want to hang out with her. It coincided with the time her youtube makeup channel, Lookie Lana, really took off. The channel got so big, she might have endorsement deals, and her mother quit her job to be a full-time manager.

Or, at least, that's the way things seemed to Ricki, who is really focusing on helping the drive-in movie theatre she adores stay afloat. She misses Lana, but she is not going to waste her time on someone who is so different than the BFF she used to know. When their other aunt, May (their mothers and aunt are named April, May, and June in birth order), offers to buy them the pink convertible that has always been an important part of the sisterhood in their family on the condition that they share it and spend time together in it, they end up taking the offer, reluctantly on Ricki's part.

However, when they are fighting over who will get to take it for an epic Friday night when Ricki's movie theatre will be reopening after a full summer of work and Lana's makeup channel will be having an important appearance at digifest, they feel a zap and wake up the next morning in the other one's body. By this exchange, they learn big/deep truths about the life of the other and end up becoming closer than ever... but how will they switch back?

What I loved: One of the most powerful representations is about mental illness (not quite named as such) of the anxiety/depression faced by Lana. This was really strong. I would have appreciated if a therapist or other help could have also come into play, but just having the descriptors and presence in the book can be helpful. The plot ends up being much deeper than anticipated, and it is overall a fun read with all the anticipated comedy and even some more thought-provoking elements about online commenting and mental health.

Final verdict: Overall, this is a fun YA contemporary comedy that presents a fresh, new FREAKY FRIDAY plot and stresses the importance of family and having an emotional support network to help you.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bernard Makes a Splash

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story from textile designer and illustrator Lisa Stickley...
Wild Girl: How to Have Incredible Outdoor Adventures

0.0 (0)
Calling wild girls everywhere! Helen Skelton – adventurer, world-record breaker...
Stanley's Paint Box

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
The Unleashed

0.0 (0)
In the terrifying sequel to The Haunted, Hendricks discovers that...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

0.0 (0)
Create pictures of 10 awesome dinosaurs... with stickers! ...
Tad
Tad

0.0 (0)
From Benji Davies, the award-winning creator of The Storm Whale...
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
The perfect picture book to celebrate every milestone from the...
A World of Opposites

0.0 (0)
From ALONE and TOGETHER to ABOVE and BELOW, Gray Malin’s...
The Voting Booth

0.0 (0)
From Stonewall Award-winning author Brandy Colbert comes an all-in-one-day love...
Now & When

0.0 (0)
For fans of Jenny Han and Christine Riccio comes a...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because...
Now That I've Found You

0.0 (0)
Now That I've Found You is a YA novel about...
Entwined

0.0 (0)
Sometimes love gets a bit twisted. ...
A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of...
Scarlet Odyssey

0.0 (0)
Magic is women’s work; war is men’s. But in...

Latest Member Reviews

Light of Day

"A companion novel to Van Diepen's ON THE EDGE, this contemporary romance and mystery novel is told from the point..."
On the Edge

"It all started when Maddie Diaz took a shortcut through the park, something that should have had her home safe..."
On the Edge

" A well-written urban romance with strong world-building and unique characters, ON THE EDGE is a refreshing addition to the..."
Caged Warrior

"CAGED WARRIOR takes the reader to places they had no idea they could even go between the pages of a..."
Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl

"What I Loved: The strengths of this book are the realistic setting and the nuanced relationships between family members...."
Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)

"I'm a sucker for mystery solving, sleuthing teenagers. No matter how unrealistic the circumstances are, I love to read about..."
Darius & Twig

"It is so easy for us to get stuck inside our personal little bubbles. I rarely ever escape outside of..."
Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool #1)

"For this review, I'm going to turn up a bit of my gushing girlishness for a while. Deadly Cool..."